Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 ZX-6R. I have almost 20k miles on it. I bought it used with 15k miles on it. Anyway, in the last week I have noticed and clicking sound coming from the front brakes. This occurs with using the front brakes and trying to stop while in motion (under a load). If I'm sitting still, not moving, I do not hear the clicking sound. I do not have a decline in braking performance in any way. The brakes feel great it is just that damn noise. I changed the brake fluid out about and month ago and everything seems to be good to go.

Currently, I'm a student at MMI in Phoenix, AZ. I have done a general brake inspection and have found no problems, i.e., forks, pads, calipers, and disk. I looked at the pads and they looked tired and worn but still measured in at about 1.5mm. The service limits are 1mm, so I'm ok there. The brakes still look good enough to use. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I thought about changing out the old pads for a set of EBC HH.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Rocket 6R.

P.S. Guys, I'm only a student at MMI and certainly not an expert. Although, I do know how to inspect the brakes for the standard and service limits and so forth.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
I would check the steering head bearings. That clicking noise is probably slop in the bearings. You need to get the front end up in the air and grab the forks and try to rock them from front to back. If they do have slop in the bearings because they are loose or worn out it will show up then..

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
also there are those tiny metal clips that hold the brake pad in place into the groove, you may be missing one of these if your bike had them to begin with. The ex500 has them and I lost one...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts