Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this past weekend I changed the brake pads on my bike(2000 F4). The change went well and the brakes work great. I noticed that my rear brake light would not come on when I used the hand brake. I checked the foot brake and it works fine. It is just the hand brake that will not tr***** the light. This worries me some b/c I use the front hand brake more than the back and would hate to get rear ended due to the fact that my bike isnt working correctly.

So my question is what would be causing this and what can I do to fix it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did you disconnect the wires to the switch at the handbrake? I used to forget sometimes to hook them up on my old Interceptor.

Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you have a multimeter or ohmeter, disconnect the wires from the switch, hook up the meter, and squeeze the brake to check for continuity. If you have continuity then the problem is not in the switch but somewhere else on the bike. No continuity then you have an open switch (maybe you spilled some brake fluid on it??).

Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oily substances can act as an insulator, which would cause your switch to fail. The good news is that you can probably hit it with a mild degreaser and get it to work again. Hell, even soap and water followed by a shot of WD40 will probably do the trick.

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had a bike where the front break switch would pass an ohm and continuity check but would not light the break light. Bad switch. Replaced and everyting worked fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts