Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowsided at the track and then the next day I noticed my headlights were not working. A week later today I decided to put my front end back on and try to get the headlights working. I changed the fuse on them and they are fine now. But my brake light still will not come on using either the hand or rear brake. The tail light works turn signals work headlight works, just not my brake light. Any one have any ideas?

·
Official SBN Bookie
401 Posts
If you have a multimeter, test for current at the bulb, if no current it's a fuse most likely. If there is current then it is obviously the bulb.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already changed out the fuse. No luck. Also this is probably going to sound dumb but my brake lights are l.e.d.'s

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Use a trouble light. It is grounded on one end and has a light with a probe. As the probe touches the power source the light lights up. Much easier and faster than using a meter. Start at the rear light and work backwards towards the fuse. You should have power at the fuse and both brake switches. The swithches only provide a contact for the power to go through so one side is powered all the time and the other gets power with the brake switch closed.

·
Your mom goes to college
1,001 Posts
maybe its aftermarket.

The light wasnt involved in the crash right? so if you took it off when it was working didnt drop it or fuck it up in anyway since then it has to be a problem of not getting juice. check power and ground going to the light. and/or try using a test light in place of the brake light.

I guess thats exactly what veefer said sorry man didnt see your post

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just figured out for my rear brake if I press it really hard it will come on. But front brake wont even cause the light to come on if squeezed really hard. So it kinda sounds like the connection from the front brake to light is not connected. Would the switch under the rearset have any thing to do with how hard I have to press to get the light to come on?

·
ZRX Pilot
419 Posts
There is a plunger on the rear brake switch that will pop back with a spring, pull the spring off and see if the switch will work when you pull up on the plungers, if it does, there is a nut you can loosen up and adjust the rear brake switch.

As for the front light there is a switch that has 2 wires under the brake lever, there is a pin that is activated when you pull the lever, find that pin and see if it moves, it not you can try some penetrating fluid, also check to make sure the wires are connected.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey did you by any chance take the relays on the brakes and check them for rust or anything like that? you could use a paperclip to complete circut on it just to see if thats all that went bad.

just another idea...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took a look at the wires underneth my front brake because of flazrx and I noticed it was unplugged I plugged it in and front brake light is now working. I don't know how to adjust my rear brake light so I just started pulling and twisting what I could down there and ended up getting it to work with just a soft tape like its suppose to. the only problem I have now is my battery or stator is going bad. It only takes about 30 seconds for my battery to die.

·
old member
13,079 Posts

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts
The bike completely dies? Or the battery dies on the "on" position?

~mikeym

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bike completely dies? Or the battery dies on the "on" position?

~mikeym
If I turn it on and don't start it right away I get the dead battery. Clicking when i hit the starter no turning over. Then my lights fade, then it wont even click. So from turning on my bike to my bike almost looking lights its completely off while one is during a 1 minute period.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts