Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually I'm too busy riding to fix my own bike. But I broke my hand, and my F4i needs new front brakes. Do I need a stand to do this? What should I know before trying to do this? Anybody done it before want to give me a quick "here's how" guide? anything yuo got would be great!

·
Registered
108 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
Usually I'm too busy riding to fix my own bike. But I broke my hand, and my F4i needs new front brakes. Do I need a stand to do this? What should I know before trying to do this? Anybody done it before want to give me a quick "here's how" guide? anything yuo got would be great!
Nope, no stand required. You do not have to remove the front wheel.

1. Break the slider pins loose.(The 2 pins that hold the brake pads in the caliper) Do not remove them completely.

2. Unbolt the caliper from the fork and slide it clear of the wheel.

3. Slide a flat blade screwdriver between the old pads and press the pistons back into the caliper.

4. Remove the 2 slider pins and the old pads will come right out.

5. Install the new pads making sure the pins go through the pad and the tensioner (the metal piece that covers the pads) on the top of the caliper.

6. Re-install the caliper on the fork and repeat for the other side.

!!!! Make sure you pump the brake lever serveral times, until the brake lever feels firm before you test ride the bike.

-RR319

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worked out great. . . my brakes felt a little weak, but are getting stronger the more I use them

·
Registered
108 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
Worked out great. . . my brakes felt a little weak, but are getting stronger the more I use them
When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? If it's really dark looking, I would go ahead and bleed them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts