Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is really dumb of me, but at least I'm willing to do it myself so hopefully I'll get props for that. I bought some brake fluid so I could change it out. Got the front brakes done no problem, but my rear brake fluid needs to be changed way more than the front did. The fluid is visibly way more dark than the fluid up front was. I can't figure out how exactly I'm supposed to change out the fluid on the rear though. I checked the manual and it doesn't reference the rear brakes at all as far as a fluid change. Can anyone tell me how to go about it? I appreciate any helpful replies.

Edit: I did a search within the forum and didn't find anything relevant. The only thing I saw was changing rear pads, so please don't say "learn to use the search."

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, but where I'm confused is with the rear reservoir. Do I just unscrew the two screws and pour the fluid in there? It's not cylindrical like the front reservoir so I'm not sure exactly where to put it.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Get:

- 18" of tubing that will fit snugly over the caliper bleed screw.
- An open-end wrench to fit the caliper bleed screw (usually 8mm).
- A container of compatible brake fluid for your bike (usually DOT4).
- A 20oz bottle of your preferred refreshing beverage (Diet Coke here...).

Open the refreshing beverage and begin consumption.

Locate the remote reservoir for the rear brake and remove the cover and any rubber bits.

Place the wrench on the bleed screw.

Attach one end of the tubing to the bleed screw.

Finish your refreshing beverage and put the other end of the tubing in the bottle.

Open the bleed screw until fluid begins to appear in the tubing. (about 1/8 - 1/4 turn)

Depress and release the brake lever moderately slowly. (no need to close/open the bleed screw every time.)

You will observe old brake fluid climbing up the tubing arc and beginning to drip into the bottle. Open the container of new brake fluid. The goal is to nearly empty the reservoir (so as to minimize mixing old/new fluid), but by NO MEANS permitting the reservoir to run dry and get air in the lines. Err on the side of conservatism.

When the fluid level gets low stop pumping the brake lever and top off the reservoir.

Repeat until both the fluid in the reservoir and that coming out of the caliper is clean.

Press the lever one more time and hold it. Tighten the bleed screw and release the lever.

Remove the tubing from the screw and put that end in the bottle to let it drain.

Remove the wrench from the screw and replace the rubber cap.

Top off the reservoir and put the rubber bits and cap back on.

Cap and store the brake fluid. Cap and discard (with oil) the bottle.

Test rear brake for proper operation.

KeS

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, this is a really good guide. Thanks for the help. I'm actually still working on it at the moment. I think I need a new tube because the fluid is not really flowing through it at all. I think it probably fits too loosely. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts