Sport Bikes banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Not sure about the ears ringing, you can go to a doctor and they'll do a hearing test just to be sure.

I used to get ringing, got tested and found out my hearing is better then average.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I was diagnnosed with tenitis. I have periodic ringing for no apparent reason. You, on the outside chance, may have that

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
yup could be tinitus

but then again, my ringing stopped... and I took another test a couple years later

same thing, hearing's fine

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just continue wearing the Howard Leight 33NRR's. I've used these for the past 13 years of riding and will not ride any distance without some hearing protection.
Remember, once you get tinitus, you can NEVER reverse it. Constant wind noise, like that when riding a bike at speed, exceeds the safe decibel exposure rating of OSHA standards. As soon as you destroy the cilia in your inner ear's cochlea, that's the end of your auditory midrange (the frequencies humans tend to utilize most). Hearing will not return once you've reached this stage. At this point, you'll just have to resign yourself to the fact that you'll be living with intermittent ringing in your ears for the rest of your life.
BTW, I studied auditory perception in college, so this isn't some BS babble I picked up while sitting around listening to someone speak at a cocktail party...

·
Registered
135 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Stem Cells would seem to be a great solution to this problem. Given the generations of people growing up with hearing damage (myself included) I hope so.
Gotta get past the liberal do-gooders first...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Shizoku69 said:
Gotta get past the liberal do-gooders first...
gotta get past dubya and his bible-beating do-gooder republicans first....

is what you meant to say. the neoconservatives are blocking federal funding for stem cell research, a ridiculous impediment to medical science.

cant imagine how much collective time that scientists are losing with these morons in office. hopefully there is intelligent relief in store for 2008, republican or democrat.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
GreenZED said:
cant imagine how much collective time that scientists are losing with these morons in office. hopefully there is intelligent relief in store for 2008, republican or democrat.
Given my druthers, I would see a GOP president that would unite, rather than divide and embrace stem cell research.

·
Registered
135 Posts
GreenZED said:
gotta get past dubya and his bible-beating do-gooder republicans first....

is what you meant to say. the neoconservatives are blocking federal funding for stem cell research, a ridiculous impediment to medical science.

My bad. Autopilot mode makes me automatically think of left-wing liberalists and most of their ill-fated efforts. You're right - GW in his limited support for stem cell research has definitely placed a hold on the progress of potential cures for many diseases. I think he was trying to play up to members on both sides of the issue, with his "old embryos ok, new embryos not ok" philosophy.

If the House and Senate can override GW's veto, then maybe we'll see something akin to the next revolution in medical breakthroughs.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Well, it's been a week and they still ring at times, but I really think it's from the fluid I've had in my ears due to allergies recently. I've been way too careful about wearing plugs and all that, and I think my hearing is probably better than average. I'll still get a test eventually, but one of the only things I can figure is that I used a Q-Tip that was not as soft for some reason (generic brand) and it made a little blood come out of both ears about 3 weeks back. Maybe that's it, who knows. Either way it seems to come and go.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
wescoas1 said:
Well, it's been a week and they still ring at times, but I really think it's from the fluid I've had in my ears due to allergies recently. I've been way too careful about wearing plugs and all that, and I think my hearing is probably better than average. I'll still get a test eventually, but one of the only things I can figure is that I used a Q-Tip that was not as soft for some reason (generic brand) and it made a little blood come out of both ears about 3 weeks back. Maybe that's it, who knows. Either way it seems to come and go.
What type of helmet, dude?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I usually wear an Arai RX7-RR4 Edwards replica with Howard Leight MAX earplugs rated at -33 decibels. My ears never ring after a ride with them, it's pretty quiet. I just bought a new Shoei RF1000 and though it's quiter it's still loud to me without plugs. I'm going to keep it because I love it, but I will be wearing my earplugs with the RF1000 as well.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts