Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What helmet do you guys think is the best vented, less noisy and most soild under $650.00.? The Arai comes to mind in my case. Any suggestions or opinions? :chair

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Best vented and less noisy helmet is an oxymoron. I had an Arai RX-7 and it was just too noisy to my liking after a few months. Sold for $300, paid orig. $500.

I have two Shoei RF-1000s, one metallic, the other is a Miguel D. replica. Good balance between ventalation, noise, price and build quality, IMO.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
rx7 corsair or shoei X-11, and they are both noisy

i've had and Rx-rr2, rx7-rr3, and now rx7-corsair, guess which i;ll recommend.

the one that fits your head the best.

·
Registered
135 Posts
RACER X said:
rx7 corsair or shoei X-11, and they are both noisy

i've had and Rx-rr2, rx7-rr3, and now rx7-corsair, guess which i;ll recommend.

the one that fits your head the best.
+1. Though the nod goes to the X 11. There are NO helmets that vent well and are quiet. That's why you wear earplugs when riding.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
the arai rx7 gets my vote, but it is noisy and I would agree w/using earplugs

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Shit, after that article in Motorcyclist a couple of months ago I don't know what I think anymore. I like Shoei helmets and have used them for years - now I'd pretty much buy anything I checked out at a store and liked...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tmkreutzer said:
Shit, after that article in Motorcyclist a couple of months ago I don't know what I think anymore. I like Shoei helmets and have used them for years - now I'd pretty much buy anything I checked out at a store and liked...
You talking about the test for strudiness they had?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mikem317 said:
Best vented and less noisy helmet is an oxymoron. I had an Arai RX-7 and it was just too noisy to my liking after a few months. Sold for $300, paid orig. $500.

I have two Shoei RF-1000s, one metallic, the other is a Miguel D. replica. Good balance between ventalation, noise, price and build quality, IMO.
Yo mikem317 do you have the web site for these oxymorons and are they under $650?

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Gixxerworld said:
Yo mikem317 do you have the web site for these oxymorons and are they under $650?
Sure, here's the definition: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oxymoron

Not sure if that's what you mean by "website for these oxymorons"... clarification formally requested.

Arai's aren't sold online, at least by Arai certified vendors. No website I know of anyway. Go to a local dealer or call individual vendors; I think they might quote over the phone.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mikem317 said:
Sure, here's the definition: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oxymoron

Not sure if that's what you mean by "website for these oxymorons"... clarification formally requested.

Arai's aren't sold online, at least by Arai certified vendors. No website I know of anyway. Go to a local dealer or call individual vendors; I think they might quote over the phone.
:eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
the thing about wearing earplugs is when you get done riding people come up to talk to you and you can't hear a damn thing

security guard at my condo was talking to me today and I couldn't understand a word.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
MT Wallet said:
the thing about wearing earplugs is when you get done riding people come up to talk to you and you can't hear a damn thing

security guard at my condo was talking to me today and I couldn't understand a word.
1) who cares...........your long term hearing > what somebody has to say
2) take them out......takes a few seconds.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
MT Wallet said:
Wait. When you're done riding you can't hear them?

Okay. Well, when I'm done riding, I remove my lid and take out the plugs. I can hear. And no ringing in the ears!!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm in the market for a quieter helmet now. I don't know what has been causing it but starting since a few days ago my ears have been ringing quite a bit off and on when just sitting around. I've only been riding sportbikes for probably less than 3 years (I'm 26) and have worn ear plugs with my RX7-RR4 since the get-go so I don't know what the problem would be. The only time my ears ever rang after any ride was the 3 or so times I had to ride about 10 miles without earplugs, which is nothing, and they didn't ring much.

So anyways, this has made me think quite a bit about getting my noise level even lower (though with plugs it's hardly as noisy as a car). So, I'm in the market for something like the RF1000 or maybe an AGV XR2 if those aren't too noisy (with plugs as well). I'm hoping that it's just been my bad allergies lately that have left my ears ringing from fluid. I don't see what else could cause it since I'm typically so cautious about that kind of thing. Kind of scary stuff though cause it's annoying and I would rather not listen to ringing for another 40 or whatever years. I don't think a few short jaunts at say 50-60 MPH can do that kind of damage...?

:confused:

EDIT: I just wanted to add that my Arai with earplugs is a bit quiter than the old Shoei I used to wear without earplugs. Really not that noisy with the Howard Leight earplugs that are supposed to cut 33 decibels of sound (the most powerful ones I could find). As a kid though, I used to always have ear infection problems.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts