Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be my first track day in may on my 650r. I'm thinking of things to be adding to it to assist with some basic performance that won't break my bank. I've read that braided brake lines are probably the first thing I should add. However on the Kawi forums all I've read is hate on the braided brake lines. What do you guys think?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I can't speak for your bike, but for my bike the SS braided lines made a HUGE difference. My experience has been that cheap upgrades that are overhyped on the internet aren't as great as they're cracked up to be. But for my SV, those brake lines were $90 very well spent. The brakes have much better feedback and feel more solid.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I upgraded to SS lines on my FZ1, made a noticeable difference. Put better pads on too while you're at it.

However after I was done with all my brake mods on that bike the brakes were so strong I had wicked fork dive, had to stiffen up the front a good bit. I had a 650R too though and I know the forks aren't adjustable, so you may find you want stiffer springs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
leave the bike as is, get good stock then make improvements as you go.

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
Leave them they will do you fine.

Reactions: R1100S-Rider

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
It's not going to kill you to leave them stock. Still, for how easy and relatively cheap the mod is, I would do it.

Reactions: R1100S-Rider

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
Because you're new and have no track experiance, keep them stock. For now, there is no reason to upgrade them. You're not going to be braking deep into turns.

I'd say wait till next year till you do, but hey. You might end up some super fast badass! haha

What I WOULD recommend doing (even if you never see the track) and get some .90 race tech front springs and maybe gold valves.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Shouldn't you be asking him his weight and riding style before blindly recommending a spring rate?

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
pads make a way more of a difference than the lines. I couldn't tell a difference in the lines to be honest. but when I did the pads holy shit. night and day difference.
(i did the pads first)

·
Moto GP Champion
505 Posts
pads make a way more of a difference than the lines. I couldn't tell a difference in the lines to be honest. but when I did the pads holy shit. night and day difference.
(i did the pads first)
This is true.

Lines will make a difference but only if the current lines are really old or you are getting them hot enough to expand causing fade.

Either way as long as you've got plenty of meat left on the pads you've got I'd not worry about changing anything.

Just go out there have fun learn the line and work on being smooth.

·
Registered
743 Posts
IMO save the money for tires. Braided lines give you a more linear feel so its easier to work with the braking power you have. Better tires give you more traction for more actual braking power AND cornering grip.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Lines are best as mentioned previously if your old lines are cracked, swelling under pressure, old, etc etc. They allow you a consistent feel that's not as....squishy and are a nice upgrade.

Pads are great, allow a little more bite and again that ever important feel. Some are more aggressive than others. I have some carbone lorraine street pads on mine work better than the stock ones.

None of the aforementioned is worth a shit if your brakes haven't been bled in ages however. Flush out the old fluid, get all the old air out, and that alone will dramatically improve your lever feel. Now if that still isn't good enough, go for the brake upgrades.

Personally in this order I would upgrade or make sure these are squared away:

Tires
suspension (springs and fresh oil, rear shock if applicable)
brakes

You get those 3 things and you are styling son.

·
freetors
640 Posts
^^this

Before you decide to spend the money on braided lines spend a little time to flush out the crap that's probably been in there from the factory. I would say for most people the biggest improvement in getting braided lines is the fact they now have fresh fluid and it's freshly bled.

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
Shouldn't you be asking him his weight and riding style before blindly recommending a spring rate?
It's a 650R a sporty bike... Unless the person weights 250lbs+, .9 rate springs works for everyone who has a sporty or sport bike. If it's a SV650 or a GSX-R1000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts