Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may belong in the mod's section but I wasn't sure. I'm certain jcaesar will move it if needed.

Anyway, I found some info from other members regarding saddlebags. Heavy FZ had posted a pic awhile ago. So I guess I copied him. But anyway, I wanted to fabricate a bracket that worked with the FE kit and held the bags out away from the bike. The bracket also works well for strapping the bags down tightly.

For the cross-bar I used 1/2 inch solid aluminum stock cut to apx. 15 inches. Both ends are drilled and tapped 1/4-20.

The "outr******" which hold the bags are 1/8 inch aluminum cut to 9.75"x2.5". The bolts and rod were cleaned with brake cleaner and medium strength thread locker used.

To attach the crossbar under the tail I bought 6mm stainless bolts which were around 1/2 inch longer than the stock ones I removed. The same spacers were used when the crossbar was installed. I used lock washers also.

I wanted to make brackets that would look OK on the bike when the bags were off. I'm not totally sure I accomplished that but it doesn't look horrible.

I have the Nelson Rigg Mini saddlebags so if you have big bags you may still need to move your blinkers back.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the same bags. With the stock tail… you can still use the back seat for a passenger. My bracket is similar to yours… it’s just made with flat stock.

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dr Honda said:
I have the same bags. With the stock tail? you can still use the back seat for a passenger. My bracket is similar to yours? it?s just made with flat stock.
I think it was when you posted the pic's of the bags on your bike that I started looking at this brand and model. Thanks!

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
Well done!

An idea. Maybe a little dark paint might make them less obvious.

Do you manage to bring the nice dog along? :lao

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dparadis said:
Well done!

An idea. Maybe a little dark paint might make them less obvious.

Do you manage to bring the nice dog along? :lao
I found some spray paint called "Midnight Blue" It's about the color of the darker blue on the bike. I'm not sure about painting-I can always polish the aluminum and make it look good but if the paint starts scratching it'll be a pain.

The dog wanted in all the pic's. He's really got a thing for cameras.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
pelon717 said:
I found some spray paint called "Midnight Blue" It's about the color of the darker blue on the bike. I'm not sure about painting-I can always polish the aluminum and make it look good but if the paint starts scratching it'll be a pain.
I painted my brackets black and there were lots of scratches after my first trip (glad the scratches were on the brackets and not the bike :) ). I take my bracket off when I'm not using the bags so its no big deal. I guess I could give them another shot of paint if I wanted but they look "traveled" now.

Thanks for the mention in the first post.

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heavy FZ6 said:
Thanks for the mention in the first post.
Confucius say:

It is the wise man who doesn't make an enemy of anyone named "Heavy".
:lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for the great idea

I received the same set of bags for my bike from Santa Claus. However, I was a little disappointed at the appearance. I have been searching for ideas on how to fix the problem, and VOILA!! There one is!! Thank you again for the idea. I will take a picture when I'm done to show y'all because I have a Two Brothers exhaust on the bike. When using this exhaust the bracket that is used for your saddlebag modification, (where you bolted the rod and plates) is removed. I will have to cut a piece from the original part and attach it so that I can make this modification. WISH ME LUCK!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I won't be able to avoid mounting something like this forever. Any long trips will be made a bit hazardous for my bags without it as they sag against my hot pipes quite a bit even while they're empty.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I like Nasamans way of preventing saggy bags (LMAO).

As requested, my dear Klouseau, here are pics of my PVC pipes (sorry my stainless quad pipes don't do it for you!)

1st pic is my FZ6 w/ all 3 Cortech bags (note both saddlebags stay nearly vertical to the bike even with the bike on its kickstand). 2nd pic shows the 3/4" ID x 11" long PVC pipe shoved tightly down on the folded peg (same on both sides). 3rd pic shows the PVC pipe is fully concealed behind the bag. The PVC pipes stay firmly on the pegs at about 45 deg from vertical. It's a dirt-cheap, light-weight, no-hassle way to keep these big saddle bags almost vertical.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
klouseau said:
I like Nasamans way of preventing saggy bags (LMAO).
Here's a couple of other very simple ways to reduce "sag" still more, even with very heavy cargo in the saddlebags, at the current "sister" thread on saddlebag sag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts