Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who here like boxing? Who's your favorite boxer, etc..

The tarver vs johnson fight was just on. Both of them knocked Roy Jones out. Re-match from when tarver lost last time. Both good fighters.

I do like Roy Jones..to be able to switch weight class like that and do what he did I don't believe has ever been done.

I'm curious to find out what happened to Prince Hassem. Ever since he got that whopping on a few years back you haven't heard from him.

Do you think boxing will ever get more tv time then what it does? I think since most of the big names are retired or on the verge big name boxing is over with, at least for awhile.

I usually wait for the fights to come on HBO to watch them then pay the 50 bucks on Pay per view and the dude get knocked out in the first round.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I like boxing but I think there are to many weight divisions and too much water downed talent. Roy Jones, De La Hoya, and a few others need to retire and stay retired. Oscar is suppose to get a fight with Winky Wright, which would be a mistake on his part.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i love boxing...

as for favorite fighters...
kermit cintron, winky wright, hasim rahman, manny pacquiou (sp), jorge arse, floyd mayweather jr... some others im sure, but they slip my mind...

i think boxing is having trouble getting TV time is mainly in part to the weakness in the heavyweight division. with no charismatic undisputed champion to help push the sport it is lost in the sports world.

there is also the action "problem"...
everyone loves a good knockout, and very few people can appreciate a good technical fight, all they want is for 2 guys to just smash one another. dont get me wrong, i love a technical fight, but the majority of the people will call it boring...

in order for boxing to go back to being a big sport, they need to start putting more money into promoting the lighter weight classes, or they can just sit around and hope a heavyweight prodigy comes along (which dosn't seem like it will be soon) and ressurect the the public's interests..

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ArcanaSV said:
i love boxing...

as for favorite fighters...
kermit cintron, winky wright, hasim rahman, manny pacquiou (sp), jorge arse, floyd mayweather jr... some others im sure, but they slip my mind...

i think boxing is having trouble getting TV time is mainly in part to the weakness in the heavyweight division. with no charismatic undisputed champion to help push the sport it is lost in the sports world.

there is also the action "problem"...
everyone loves a good knockout, and very few people can appreciate a good technical fight, all they want is for 2 guys to just smash one another. dont get me wrong, i love a technical fight, but the majority of the people will call it boring...

in order for boxing to go back to being a big sport, they need to start putting more money into promoting the lighter weight classes, or they can just sit around and hope a heavyweight prodigy comes along (which dosn't seem like it will be soon) and ressurect the the public's interests..
All very good and true points.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey Rascus... any thoughts on the upcoming Gatti vs. Mayweather Jr. fight?

I'm pulling for Mayweather, hopefully he can keep his cool and fight smart a fight and not get drawn into a brawl with Gatti.

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be interesting to see. Mayweather is a 5 to 1 favorite. He's also undefeated (i don't know Gatti's record) SHould be a good fight.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm curious to find out what happened to Prince Hassem. Ever since he got that whopping on a few years back you haven't heard from him.
From what I remember, Hassem took off for over a year then barely won his comeback fight. He hasn't fought since. Right now, he's in trouble for wrecking his car and leaving the scene of an accident.

I watch all the fights on ESPN, Sho, and HBO. This is a good time for boxing right now, regardless of the heavyweight division.

I'd say my favorites are Chris Byrd, Gatti, and James Toney. Jorge Arce really impressed in his last televised fight, too.

I'm rooting for Gatti Saturday. I hate mouthy fighters like Mayweather. It looks like Mayweather has all the talent in that fight, but Gatti always has a chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts