Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got sick of watching riding videos, and then wanting to go out and ride...
I would get all geared up and ride for 10 minutes before my hands started FREEZING. I hated it, b/c the rest of my body would be pretty warm.

So I went and bought

First Gear Gloves
Heat-Troller unit
Y Cable
and the Battery Hot Wire Hookup

Total came up to about $213

Man I was riding in 30 degree windy weather and actually had to stop and turn the heat DOWN to about 30 percent. These things are unreal. Probably good to about 10 degrees, when the jeans, overpants, and jacket dont do enough.

I would HIGHLY recommend it for any die hard riding fan. :cheers

Now I can do 100 mile days again w/o freezing my hands off.

Attachments

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah my hands were on fire at one point, and had to turn it down.

Here it barely gets snowy, but it does get cold as hell.

·
Fool of the universe
1,311 Posts
Oh cool man! Good to hear a review of these kinds of things. However, slick icy roads on a motorcycle sound treachorous to me... but then again that's just me.

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I try not to ride in weather under 32 for the ice reasons....

I have a hot cable coming out under the seat. I connect that to the heat controller which is in my pocket. That then goes thru my jacket to a y cable that goes to the arms. Not a long time, usually start the bike up, and then hook up the gloves, is warmed up before I get out there :)

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
Dale my riding buddy bought heated gloves and took them back the next day...he is 6'6" and said he was having problems with the wires not being long enough to feed through his jacket and also he said it took too damn long to gear up b/c he had to have someone help him...

...(personally I would have figured out a way to do it myself).

Anyways, I have a battery tender pig tail connected already. WOuld it be a bad idea to hook up heated gloves? I don't exaclty ride a gold wing to have a whole bunch of accesseries running from my battery. And I use the battery tender plug in for a phone charger as well....

what do you guys think? about having so many leads running from your battery? If I had heated gloves I would probably be riding now!!! Most guys around here don't like to ride because "they believe cold and tires don't mix" or some shit to that effect a guy told me...lol.

·
Registered
971 Posts
TalkofDC, it shouldn't be a problem. You might be able to run your gloves off of the battery tender pig tail; many of the glove manufacturers make an adapter that will connect their harness to a battery tender style plug (I believe they're called SAE plugs).

The main thing to worry about is the watt draw on your electrical system. If gloves are the only powered accessory you're running, you should be OK with a modern bike.

Edit: this is the company that makes most of my heated gear => Welcome to Widder Enterprises Their stuff is very reliable and tends to be a lower current draw piece for piece. Their gloves don't have the built in armor of the First Gear gloves, but the First Gear gloves appear to require a little more juice.

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
If you dont have heated gloves, you can just let your hands get really cold until they dont hurt anymore :D
You may live in Northern Cali where the days are warm and the nights are cool....

....but man do you have any idea how bad of a joke that was...

At one point last weekend I thought I had lost a pinky. I kept flicking it and it had no response. damn. It took most of the day for my finger to recover. And the sad part is I don't know what frostbite feels like and I don't want to. I did however take off my gloves and bare hand snowballs when I was a kid.

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah - I was at the point where my hands WERENT WORKING after a half hour. Like I couldnt brake for sh*t. Felt Like I was about to pull a Manhattan on the clutch, so I said, screw this, heated gloves for me.

Feel the Burn!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Dale, what overpants do you wear? You're a big guy too, so I'm wondering what you found. I'm looking at the Joe Rocket Phoenix and Ballistic which come in a 5xl. I know, leather's better, but mesh and textile are still WAY better than jeans.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
If you dont have heated gloves, you can just let your hands get really cold until they dont hurt anymore :D
Be careful with that. I was riding from Lubbock into Santa Fe one time in low 30s, was at the bottom of a tank of gas when I reached my exit, which was covered in snow/ice (the freeway itself was worn clear, it had snowed overnight). Turn signal, exit, downshift, reach for the front brake. I said, REACH FOR THE FRONT BRAKE! **WHAT DO YOU MEAN, NUH-UH?!**

Right hand wasn't taking orders anymore. I had to reach over with my left hand (which wasn't all that great either) and pull the brake lever while riding one-clawed and trying to stop on an ice-covered downhill exit ramp with cross-traffic at the bottom. Brake modulation was.... suboptimal.

If you're going to ride in the cold, make very sure everything works before you need it.

KeS

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Yeah my hands were on fire at one point, and had to turn it down.

Here it barely gets snowy, but it does get cold as hell.
Adjust all settings BEFORE you are riding. That means your damper, music player, or heated grips. If you dont you are going to come to a sudden stop at a light and realize you cant turn the bars at all, the music is so loud its like you are center stage at a concert, and your hands are melting.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
i was kidding about the letting your hands get really cold...
i have tourmaster heated gloves, but my dad accidentally threw out the cable...so i need to order another one

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah 21* at 8 am today

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Excellent thread Dale! I have been looking for some heated gloves with armor and havn't been able to find an here. Can't wait to see if my Dealer can get these for me. It doesn't matter how cold it is as long as my hands don't get cold. Fuck, I can be nuclear everywhere, but if I get cold in my hands it's all over with :(

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
Judging by the pics, those also look pretty safe. (good for protection). Those gauntlets in the pics, that's what is available Dale? How's the quality of the gloves themselves?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts