Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, cheesy title, I admit.

BBC News - Botswana to ban hunting over wildlife species decline

I predict this will be a *disaster* for wildlife preservation. Take a zebra worth $2,000 (plus thousands of dollars in associated tourism dollars), and make it worth NOTHING to the local tribe or landowner, and you know what you get?? One year of zebra barbeque.

Licensed sport hunting is not the problem. Large-scale poaching and meat hunting is the problem. See how many poachers get turned in now, when they've just gone from being the bad guys killing off your prize trophies to the good guys getting rid of all those worthless disease-carrying critters so you can keep a few more head of scrawny cattle.

It's going to be a massacre. Very sad.

KeS

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Looks like they are banking on the queasy numbers going up as they will be happy to take little Johnny to piccy the animals when they know that it's head aint destined to end up on someones wall . Could go either way I suppose .

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
It won't, though. Photo safaris don't produce that kind of money. :(

KeS
Its a b***** catchment though. Quantity over quality. The amount of people who have any interest I'm shooting something to hang it on a wall is a tiny minority.
The ratio of camera owners to gun owners in Europe which is Africa's closest bulk tourist supply is defiantly weighted in one direction.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I'd be interested in the data for this. I bet there's a hell of a lot more people who would be willing to pay to see and photo an animal then could be made off one big spender hunter who blows it away.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's plenty of data out there, go look at it. Most photo safaris take place in preserves, because photographers expect easy shots at multiple animals. So the photo safaris don't do much of anything for the average landowner. And BTW those animals have to be "managed" (killed) too.

It's not that difficult a concept. Look here in this country. Where deer leases can be sold to hunters, the deer are maintained. Where they can't, they are destroyed. Look at CA reports on public land vs private ranch tag returns.

KeS

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Despite a very small minortity gun culture in the UK we are overun with deer on both private and public land . Nobody much interested in shooting them so they thrive with no natural predators . No natural predators because when we did all have guns we shot all those .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts