Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boston Red Sox starter Matt Clement just took a line-drive off the head/face area near the ear. He was breathing but there was no other movement that was observable from where the cameras were positioned. There was no reaction time as the ball came off the bat of Carl Crawford.

I'm sure they'll be an article on MLB or ESPN's homepage soon. Just keep your thoughts and prayers with him and hopefully he comes through okay!

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2117345

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated: July 26, 2005, 8:37 PM ET

Crawford's line drive strikes Clement in third

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Matt Clement was hit in the right side of the head by Carl Crawford's line drive Tuesday night and carried from the field on a stretcher.

Clement remained on the ground and barely moved for about five minutes before he was lifted onto a stretcher and immobilized with a neck brace. Replays showed the force of Crawford's liner knocked the All-Star pitcher completely off his feet.

The ball caromed off the back of Clement's head, just behind his right ear, into short left field for an RBI single. Concerned teammates gathered around the fallen pitcher as medical personnel attended to him on the mound. The crowd cheered as he was carried off, but his arms remained strapped across his chest.

Chad Bradford replaced Clement with Boston leading the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 5-1.

Five years ago, Red Sox pitcher Bryce Florie was hit in the right eye by a ball hit by Ryan Thompson of the New York Yankees. The line drive broke several bones in Florie's face and left his vision impaired.

The right-hander tried to come back with Boston the next season but didn't last long and was out of the major leagues by the end of the season. He has not been back since.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I just watched it, he got NAILED right in the head. He was awake the whole time, so hopefully he will be ok.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
I pitched little league and got blasted by a line drive right in the forehead above my right eye. Knocked me flat on my back I jumped right up and blood was pouring out of a gash on top of a goose egg that instantly poped up above my eye! They took me to the ER and I got a goofy bandaid and was told to not go to sleep.... I went home and after a hour or so went to bed LOL

I even fell in a empty pool at a customers house one time and split the back of my head wide open was totally covered in blood and went to my next job and my boss was there saw me and threw up :eek: He freaked out! I must have a hard head, never been knocked out yet... been slamed in the head a few times really good too :D

Went thru the windshield of a friends baja bug when he hit a light pole. I literally went thru, there were no seat belts and I flew out onto the freeway had a massive gash that took 154 stitches 3 more in my ear lobe and 9 in my knee :eek: I never ever bled like that.... looked like a waterfall of blood pouring off my head when I sat up. I laid back down took my jacket and held it to my head till the paramedics got there and they couldnt believe I was coherent and awake. I was pissed tho I lost so much blood I was FREEZING in the ambulance and kept screaming at the guys to turn the AC off!!! :eek:

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
I pitched through college and into semi-pro during the summers and this was one of the biggest fears a pitcher has. Thankfully he is OK. Players like Dickie Thon were not so lucky.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
That was nasty. Glad he is ok. Kind of surprising that he made no real effort to put his glove up.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YammyR1 said:
That was nasty. Glad he is ok. Kind of surprising that he made no real effort to put his glove up.
Too quick. Because of Clements delivery and subsequent release, he puts himself at an angle to the plate. The reaction time alone would be greater than the time between the ball leaving the bat to his head, nevermind the time needed to move the arm and glove to protect himself.

One of the evil's of baseball. When he was lying there motionless, I thought he was seriously hurt or even killed. It scared the crap out of me when the ball actually made that noise (that "crack" sound that usually happens when the bat hits the ball), well there were two "cracks"; one from the bat and the other was the ball off Matt's head.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to pitch and luckily never got hit by a line drive. A few times I got balls hit at me and I caught it or deflected it, or barely got out of the way.

·
Registered
706 Posts
That's scary.

They said he was aware of what happened to him. I can see how that conversation went......

"Matt, do you know what just happened?"

"Do I know what happened. I just got KNOCKED THE F*CK OUT!!"

He's a good pitcher. Was sorry the Cubs let him get away.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like it didn't effect him. He's scheduled to make his next start. I think the only thing that happened to him was a mild headache for that day. Lucky guy, very lucky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts