Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need new boots for my Deals Gap trip next month. Which one is better by your own experience?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Try them on if you can. Otherwise look up reviews for fit. I was between those two brands myself, but A* just don't fit me. The best boot wound up being a pair of Puma motorcycle boots.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They both have good reviews that's why I'm having a hard time deciding. I've thought about Pumas but I had a friend that had a pair and they starting falling apart after a few months.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
My Pumas have been solid so far with daily use, but I got them because they are really wide and have a lot of room for thick calves which suits my feet and legs well. I ride in a mishmash of brands based on what fits best.

Assuming both fit well, I'd go for SIDI, I've only heard good things about them though I've never owned a pair. A* on the other hand, I've been pretty disappointed in their quality on the few items I've owned, though I've never owned their boots, because they don't fit me. Though their SMX5 are on clearance now that the 6 is coming out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the model I'm looking at (SMX-5) and the SIDI Vertigo. Vortices are way out of my price range. Thanks for the advise.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I've had both - men and women's Alpinestars, and women's Sidis. I prefer the Sidis for fit and finish, and little extras like the calf adjustment and replaceable parts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Vortices. Love 'em. Wrecked in 'em. Still wearing 'em.
I love em but $495 is a bit too much for the average rider man. I don't do any hardcore track racing.

I've had both - men and women's Alpinestars, and women's Sidis. I prefer the Sidis for fit and finish, and little extras like the calf adjustment and replaceable parts.
I like the Vertigos. A little more expensive than Alpinestars but $300 is the budget I set myself so they're right on.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I own both the SMX5 and the Vertigo, the Vertigo by far offers way more protection than the SMX5 but with the only drawback being the SMX5 is way more comfortable for walking around in for longer periods of time than the Vertigo.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The more I hear about A* quality lately [read: the last ~3 years or so], especially with their suits, jackets and gloves, the more I try to steer people in the other direction. I'd go with Sidi or Puma if I was you.. I've got a set of Oxtar (brand changed to TXC) that I've been very happy with, even after crashing 3 times.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I love em but $495 is a bit too much for the average rider man. I don't do any hardcore track racing.
That's no excuse, I am disabled, and afforded them. I DID get them for "only" $427.50. Ankles have the most bones in the body in one place. Breaking ONE of them, makes you limp. I value my feet. A 55mph crash is a 55mph crash, whether on the street, or the track. Bite the bullet Micha...err Carlos!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's no excuse, I am disabled, and afforded them. I DID get them for "only" $427.50. Ankles have the most bones in the body in one place. Breaking ONE of them, makes you limp. I value my feet. A 55mph crash is a 55mph crash, whether on the street, or the track. Bite the bullet Micha...err Carlos!

You do got a point there.

Hahaha why did you have to bring Micha into this?

·
Formerly 216cityboy
37 Posts
I prefer Sidi. A* have a weird fit & tend to get uncomfortable pretty fast. My Sidi Cobra Air broke in fast & I've had them for 3 years including a pretty good wreck. Like Shamrock said, I'm still wearing them (until I can get the Vertigo air on my watch list). Throw in some cushy insoles & you're good.

·
Registered
250 Posts
:shrug

I may have weird feet (in fact, I know I do - wide and spread, like a duck or something), but A* fit me better than anything else out there.

I have a pair of Dainese TRQ-In I got to hook up with my suit, but I can never get completely comfortable in them. SIDI is not as bad, but still a little off for me. But A* fit like my favorite pair of Jordans. No clue why.

I have the SMX Plus full boots and S-MX 1 shoes. I've crashed and slid on the S-MX 1s, and had my SMX Plus run over by a Jeep. Good on both counts! My main complaints are the bulk of the boots, and the annoying squeaks they make. Otherwise, all gravy.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
seen reviews of the new smx plus alpine star boots and the ankle support is flimsy. I think a star is getting ready to dump it already. they're on closeout at a few places online.
the good thing about astar boots is the internal lace system. the boot is always the perfect fit.

best part about sidi, all the parts are replaceable.
I have the ST AIR. their vortice boots have replaceable soles.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts