Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright just last night i was saying how sweet my new jet kit was. but now my bike runs like shit. all the hoses are put back correctly nothing is leaking.
I now have a 185 and a 190 main jets new springs and a drilled hole in the slide where i used the jig as requested in the instructions. I have a k&n filter and i have slip ons right now i'm about to get a full pipe soon(couple of weeks) I also have the fuel mixture screws screwed 2 turns. and the clip set on the 5th from the top on the jet needle.

When i crank the bike it will crank as normall but as soon as i blip the throttle it will die, and some times dies then revs up all gurgly sounding. WHAT DO I DO!!!!! help

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Go back to the begining and check every thing over. It could be a number of things. I hate working on carbs. Anything they make a special manual for (carbs) are very tricky to work on if you dont know what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Sounds like it's running too rich and may be flooding. Might want to try leaning out the fuel delivery a bit if you know how to adjust them. That's my best bet.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
What changed between last night and today? ANYTHING on the bike? Could anything have come loose (hose)? Is the temperature drastically different? Do you smell gas when it dies (flooded, stuck floats)? What do you mean 185 and 190 jets? Different on different carbs?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Agreed on the running to rich... Your running much b***** jets than you were (I'm assuming, because you said they were changed) but haven't done anything to merit that change yet, because your just running a slip-on. That and the K&N might merit a needle change at best, but not a main jet change. You probably ran reasonable well until you fouled your plugs, and now that they are fouled, you run like crap.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
StumpyNB said:
Agreed on the running to rich... Your running much b***** jets than you were (I'm assuming, because you said they were changed) but haven't done anything to merit that change yet, because your just running a slip-on. That and the K&N might merit a needle change at best, but not a main jet change. You probably ran reasonable well until you fouled your plugs, and now that they are fouled, you run like crap.
+1 assuming nothing changed between doing the work, the bike running "well" and the bike running like crap, check the plugs. If fouled, you're running too rich.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea im pretty mechanicly inclined this is what i go to school for. I just havent made it to the performance part of school where i do jets and shit. I havent tried checking the plugs yet. That does make since that it rn like a raped ape 2 nights ago but sucked ass today/yesterday. The "instructions said if you are running a k&n filter and pipe go 2 sizes up. So the front stock had 175 in it so i went to a 185 and the rear had a 178 in it so i went to a 190 (main jet sizes) it also said that when i put the new needle in to move the clip to the 5th from the top so i did.

so my question is will a full pipe fix this problem. Since it will alow more air flow? Nothing is leaking out of the carbs so the floats are not stuck and the hoses are routed properly.

I was just seeing if any one else had this problem. thanks.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
No the full pipe wont change anything. Look at yer plugs. If there Black then its rich, plugs are the key to jetting correctly without expensive sniffers for exhaust 5th from top sounds awfully rich. IE: the higher the needle the sooner it lets fuel come in. if the mix screws are under the throat after the butterfly in relation to the rubber neck fitted to the head those control fuel at low speed and are EXTREMELY sensitive. Also get a balancer you'd be amazed how much a difference that makes. If lowering the needle lightens the plug color your in the ball park. Ideally you want the needle in the center position with correct plug coloring and deviation from that central position is a indicator your jetting is not in the ball park.... Most importantly keep in mind a carb is basically a simple device don't let it baffle or scare you. Keep a clear head and think about what you are doing..... I learned from years of trial and error mainly in sprint car racing with hilborn injectors. still the principal is the same. it only mixes fuel with air just getting it in correct amounts can be a pain but the end will put a big ol smile on yer face each time you ride yer dialed bike.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would guess that those settings would be somewhere NEAR correct, WITH a full pipe, but until you get that pipe on there, your just going to keep fouling out. Remember too, those instructions are only ment to give you a baseline to work from. Your big mistake was trying to take the easy way out and jet for a pipe you didn't have yet. Don't feel to bad though. Those of us who know this stuff, know only because we already did it... :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AAAAHHHAAA i found out what it was. i had to big of jets in there i put a 195 in there instead of a 185 :spank sooooo now i put the 185 in front and 190 in the rear and checked the needles and every thing else. Wala it works. It pops alot now but it revs like its supose to. i just have to fix the idle and i'll be set . I also need to get my carbs synced. thanks guys.

now that i wrote this, tomarrow the bike will probably blow up but hey , thats my luck :dunno

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Just be careful rejetting here in FL man. It's so warm here and the air is so thin because of the heat, that a lot of the time a rejetting will make you run rich down here. I'm getting a 2-1 system + a K&N drop in on my 500 and I might not even have to rejet it. Just food for thought. But if it runs good and pulls strong...power to ya

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks buddy I'll keep that in mind.

appreciate it
john.g

1 - 12 of 12 Posts