Sport Bikes banner

Bodywork

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Darkstar 
#1 ·
What does everyone use for race bodywork, and why did you choose it?

#2 ·
apchasse said:
What does everyone use for race bodywork, and why did you choose it?
I have used Sharkskinz on my ZX6. The bodywork (1 piece solo tail) has been off and back on over 2 dozen times. The bodywork is flexible which helps the paint from chipping, etc..

The bodywork was painted in March 1999 and still looks great!

Johnny

#3 ·
There are tons of choices out there.

Sharkskinz
Cheetah
Hotbodetes
GP composites
Rennsport
etc....

Most people go fo rthe best fit for the money. My pic for the best bang for the buck now is Rennsport . It is made bt racers and is very light and flexable. It crashes well and is easy to repair. The big thing is that it is realtively cheap, about $550 for a full set.

#4 ·
The only reason I am asking, is that my company is starting its motorcycle bodywork program back up after 6 years. We used to do the F3 and the GSXR 750 SRAD back in the day. I was told by the people that ran them that they were just as good as sharkskinz. So I pulled the old molds out and we will be offering all the latest models here within a few months....

I was just seeing what people like the most about the bodies, it seems that most people go with price, so I will do what I can....

#5 ·
Price will only get you so far though. I know alot of fellow racers that went the Hotbodies route last year because it was cheap, but once they tries to mount it they bought something else. If it is inexpensive and mounts well it will sell. Being able to stand up to a crash well is secondary (atleast to me) because if it is cheap then I will just replace it.

#7 ·
dbo said:
^^werd...and try to get some shit for the 93-95 zx7 too!!!
The only problem to go with an older bike like that, is that to make molds cost a good deal of money, I have to know that I can sell "x" amount of bodies to pay for, and eventually make money off a certain bodywork. Right now there is just not a market for that bike, and alot more other bikes for that matter. Maybe someday though..... :dunno

#8 ·
I like skins that fit my budget <wink>

#9 ·
I personally use stuff from racersden.com they have awesome build quality, and colored fiberglass resin, so no worries about painting. About $650 US for non painted, and $850 for colored fiberglass. Great quality, lightweight, excellent fit, mix/match colors/cf, and excellent customer service. They are located in Australia, but it arrives suprisingly quick.

#10 ·
apchasse said:
The only problem to go with an older bike like that, is that to make molds cost a good deal of money, I have to know that I can sell "x" amount of bodies to pay for, and eventually make money off a certain bodywork. Right now there is just not a market for that bike, and alot more other bikes for that matter. Maybe someday though..... :dunno

i know...just thought i'd throw it out there...i got two new, still in their packaging, lowers (left and right) from dennis kirk that i might be persuaded to loan you to make molds...

#11 ·
hope you still do bods for the 96 f3

#13 ·
My vote is for the sharkskinz, I have the street body skinz on my bike. They are more flexable the oem plastic, they do seam stronger than they look. Had about a 5 mph lowside in the parking lot and only ended up with a couple scratches.

#15 ·
yeah, i just buy whats cheap...hopefully next season i will be sponsored by a company :).

but if it breaks/cracks whatever crazy shit happens to bodywork in a crash i just use my handy fiberglass repair kit and piece it back together. only reason why i would buy new bodywork is if i burned a hole in it or it got messed up beyond repair (which is really rare...cuz fiberglass doesnt tend to desintegrate too often :D )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.