Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I guess after getting their asses handed to them by scooter and train manufacturers for years; they decided to run scared.

Oh yeah, I guess they figure that an America on a bike made by a radio manufacturer would completely kick their asses.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Damn. :(

My second favorite manufacturer in WSBK.

Reactions: Razzy

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah this really sucks. I guess since BMW has already captured a good chunk of the sportbike market with the s1000rr, they figured they don't have much else to prove. Personally I will miss seeing the Aprilia and Kawasaki rape the BMW ;) There are rumors that BMW is going to try to move to MotoGP. Hopefully Melandri and Davies can find a ride somewhere.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
What rule changes are those?
Negotiations are ongoing, the public doesn't know all the details yet, but there are many rumors. One thing that is confirmed is that there will be a 250k Euro price cap per rider, and the bikes will be much closer to stock, possibly with a control ECU. Fuel limits are likely, as well as many other rules designed to keep WSBK below MotoGP.

BMW heavily used WSBK to develop their bike and electronic packages. My bet is something happened in the negotiations that made them realize continuing in WSBK under the new neutered rules would be a waste development wise.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/s.../2013/January/jan1813-dorna-move-to-cap-wsbk/

What shit luck for Melandri, got runner up with Yamaha and they pull out the next year, now he's back at the top with BMW and they're doing the same thing to him again. I hope he finds another factory seat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: jk750

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
That sucks. I feel bad for all the people involved in the WSBK teams including the riders themselves. It seems like they just joined WSBK yesterday :(

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I guess that squashes the rumor about Nicky Hayden being courted by BMW

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Negotiations are ongoing, the public doesn't know all the details yet, but there are many rumors. One thing that is confirmed is that there will be a 250k Euro price cap per rider, and the bikes will be much closer to stock, possibly with a control ECU. Fuel limits are likely, as well as many other rules designed to keep WSBK below MotoGP.

BMW heavily used WSBK to develop their bike and electronic packages. My bet is something happened in the negotiations that made them realize continuing in WSBK under the new neutered rules would be a waste development wise.

Dorna moves to cap price of World Superbike machinery - News | Motorcycle Sport | WSB Results | World Supersport | MCN

What shit luck for Melandri, got runner up with Yamaha and they pull out the next year, now he's back at the top with BMW and they're doing the same thing to him again. I hope he finds another factory seat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
All in all I think the rules are good. I'm not thrilled about the control ECU, but the bikes being closer to stock will mean we will get better bikes at the dealership. It will also mean the sport will be more accessible...

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
All in all I think the rules are good. I'm not thrilled about the control ECU, but the bikes being closer to stock will mean we will get better bikes at the dealership. It will also mean the sport will be more accessible...
I don't think bringing the bikes closer to stock is bad either, they basically are prototypes right now. But the fuel limits and control ECU are stupid, and both of those rules in MotoGP have been shown to increase cost.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Yeah this really sucks. I guess since BMW has already captured a good chunk of the sportbike market with the s1000rr, they figured they don't have much else to prove. Personally I will miss seeing the Aprilia and Kawasaki rape the BMW ;) There are rumors that BMW is going to try to move to MotoGP. Hopefully Melandri and Davies can find a ride somewhere.
You can't win in WSBK so you move to MotoGP? I don't see that happening.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
You can't win in WSBK so you move to MotoGP? I don't see that happening.

BMW is not getting into MotoGP, in fact, they will be focusing into smaller bikes, so forget about any further racing efforts.

What we will be seeing from BMW are more scooters, probably, finally, a new 650 thumper (not the facelifted 10 year old bike), maybe a replacement for the long gone and forgotten Scarver?

Dunno, BMW Motorrad doesn't have a good track record for consistency. The X-Challenge/X-Country were short lived, same as the 450 dirt bike, the BMW C1 was also a short lived orphaned bike, the HP2 bikes were pretty good but quickly dropped, etc. Then there was the Husqvarna fiasco...

Who knows if the S1000RR will be in production in two or three years?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I would think with all the development in the S1000RR it's here to stay. They are tweaking it every two years, and people are buying it. When I bought mine in 2010, for a year I never saw another. Now, they are very common. I guess the other manufacturers have enough sponsor support to race and BMW was probably footing the bill so they are out. It's all about retail sales anyway right. If they are focusing on scooters and touring they are not doing that for the is market.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
I don't think bringing the bikes closer to stock is bad either, they basically are prototypes right now. But the fuel limits and control ECU are stupid, and both of those rules in MotoGP have been shown to increase cost.
They are by no means prototypes. They are very heavily modified from stock though. WSBK teams probably have more money in their heads than some AMA teams have in their entire engine.

The idea of control ECU's is a bad one. This is one of the biggest development areas these days for production bikes.

The biggest problem with WSBK is that there aren't enough Spanish riders. ;)

Reactions: PhilB

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
too many companies leaving these sports. something I think is actually a bad thing for them in the long run.
development happens at a great pace and rider feedback in race conditions is crucial for testing. without these the factory is just going to turn out what they "think" is a decent bike when it could be a complete disaster.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts