Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just bought a Tomtom Rider GPS unit. I need to have the directions broadcasted to my helmet. I know there are several headsets out there that will make phone calls, listen to music, mow your lawn etc etc. I don't need any of that. I don't need/want to make phone calls, rider rider communications etc. I only need to receive the directions from the GPS unit. So basically just one way. A few years ago I had a chatterbox and hated it. Effin wires were everywhere, I was always messing with something etc.

I was thinking of something simple like these, (wireless earbuds) but I am open to suggestions

Amazon.com: Micro Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds w/ Microphone for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android, smart phones, and other Bluetooth devices By Audiosynq: Electronics

What are your thoughts? I want something simple without wires going everywhere and gear I have to mess with all the time.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Okay, I just bought a Tomtom Rider GPS unit. I need to have the directions broadcasted to my helmet. I know there are several headsets out there that will make phone calls, listen to music, mow your lawn etc etc. I don't need any of that. I don't need/want to make phone calls, rider rider communications etc. I only need to receive the directions from the GPS unit. So basically just one way. A few years ago I had a chatterbox and hated it. Effin wires were everywhere, I was always messing with something etc.

I was thinking of something simple like these, (wireless earbuds) but I am open to suggestions

Amazon.com: Micro Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds w/ Microphone for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android, smart phones, and other Bluetooth devices By Audiosynq: Electronics

What are your thoughts? I want something simple without wires going everywhere and gear I have to mess with all the time.
I would get a dedicated bluetooth system for your helmet. I have a SENA SMH-10. I use it constantly. No wires, a jog dial which is easy to control, and it allows you to use voice commands with your cell phone.

Pull over and remember a few streets at a time. It's a motorcycle not an SUV.
Or, if you don't have any valid suggestions, you could not respond to this thread.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Are there helmets that play music with bluetooth?

But I dunno would that be a bad idea since it may be like wearing headphones while you drive? Wish there was a mount for those portable bluetooth speakers . I also need a cell phone holder or motorcycle GPS because I feel lost sometimes since I realize I rely on my car's GPS to know my relative location, especially in LA. Just because GPS can show you where the main roads are.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Yep I hear the Sena SMH units are pretty good for the price. If you want better quality music (which it sounds like you don't) then get the larger speakers, otherwise you'll be fine.

I thought listening to music would be really distracting while riding for the first few years but its nice for longer rides.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Are there helmets that play music with bluetooth?

But I dunno would that be a bad idea since it may be like wearing headphones while you drive? Wish there was a mount for those portable bluetooth speakers . I also need a cell phone holder or motorcycle GPS because I feel lost sometimes since I realize I rely on my car's GPS to know my relative location, especially in LA. Just because GPS can show you where the main roads are.
Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth Headset - RevZilla

That's what I bought, and where I got it from. It mounts to the outside of your helmet, and the boom goes inside the chin bar. Works great. As far as GPS goes, I currently just leave my phone in my pocket, but I plan on getting a RAM mount setup to have it mounted on the bike.

No wires, no fuss. As soon as you turn the headset unit on, it connects to my phone within about 5 seconds. I can call/send text messages while I'm on the bike, which is quite useful when I'm stuck in traffic on the way home.

As far as music goes, I don't personally think it's any different than listening to music in the car. The above unit has speakers in the helmet, not earbuds. So long as you don't blast it at full volume all the time, you can still hear your surroundings.

From what I've heard, the SCALA G9 is probably the best currently, but I didn't want to spend that much money. The SENA SMH-10 does everything I need it to perfectly. Even has a good battery life. Much longer than my phone when I'm using the GPS. I've since added power outlets (USB and 12v outlet) to the bike so I can charge both while on long rides. Headset lasts about 12 hours, phone much less than that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would get a dedicated bluetooth system for your helmet. I have a SENA SMH-10. I use it constantly. No wires, a jog dial which is easy to control, and it allows you to use voice commands with your cell phone.
thats what i have,m although i don't use a gps on the bike. just for music mostly and answering calls.

good sound out of the speakers.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would say they should work fairly well OP, and they have the added bonus of noise reduction. I ride with either earplugs, or earbuds, but never without anything.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Scala user here. That damned thing works great 99% of the time. (And I have the old G4 model, the G9 is better still.) Phone, gps, music via bluetooth, music via stereo cord on phone, intercom. Features are there... Heard nice things about the SENA, also.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Scala user here. That damned thing works great 99% of the time. (And I have the old G4 model, the G9 is better still.) Phone, gps, music via bluetooth, music via stereo cord on phone, intercom. Features are there... Heard nice things about the SENA, also.
Have you heard anything about the UClear? I might have to check out the Scala if you rave about it. Thanks J.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Have you heard anything about the UClear? I might have to check out the Scala if you rave about it. Thanks J.
No, I haven't. That Multi-hop tech sounds nice, though. The more the merrier, it seems, with that system. It's true Bluetooth is line of sight dependent and I've gotten dropped signals when riding with my wingman and/or father and I get too far ahead. (I tend to pass like a Royal Tiger, where as they're a bit more docile.) But given that it continually tries to reconnect when they get back into range, which varies depending on the landscape, it's all good.

Since there's 3 of us with Scala G4 or G9, we're pretty much invested into this, even as nice as Uclear sounds. All the other functions of the Scala (and SENA, I'd imagine) are great and work well, though.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Yeah, the thing about Bluetooth systems is that you can't talk between brands. You kind of have to pick a brand with whoever you eventually plan to talk to and stick to that. Most popular seem to be Chatterbox, SENA, and Scala.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
This is what I'm looking for:

It has to be able to receive calls as she is on call 26 days a month.
Music is a big blus for her. Me not so much but it'd be nice.
For me the ability to talk to each other is my main objective. Wether it's on the same bike or two.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts