Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was showing someone I worked here the route we usually take on Yahoo Maps and I noticed Blue River road.. that road looks niiice anyone tried it?

I -think- I may know what road it is cause I used to take College/Red Bridge into the Red Bridge area and that place has some nice windy road and Blue River connects to Red Bridge.

BTW when the leaves start to change I recommend eveyone stroll on over to the Red Bridge area. Nice.

Anyway here is a Yahoo Map link. If you keep clicking north it keeps looking nice..I mean all the way into Swoop park.

Blue River

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
the road itself looks nice, but the pavement more than likely sucks. true, i haven't investigated it myself, but since it is in MO (no offense to the MO peeps, I used to live there), I going to say that based off my previous experiences with the MO roads...besides that, all the way to Swope park? That isn't especially the best of areas to be in anyway.

edit: after looking at it, I REALLY REALLY wouldn't suggest riding this in the dark. I know exactly where it is and where it ends up, the roads (unless they have re-paved in the last year) are bumpy and generally not in the best of repair. And it runs west of Troost and over Prospect. You guys want to go and do it...go ahead...I'll wait for you in KS. sorry, not for me.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't really thinking about that part as much as the 135th to Red Bridge (College) Road part.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
i think it would be great in theory, but...man, I dunno. we would have to do some serious investigating to check exit/route points, etc. if ya know what I mean...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So go do it.

I was going go roll over there on my day off and check it out.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
meh just asking if anyone knew about it not saying it should be done.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
nah, it could be done and it would be great to have an additional run (unlike Wu's run of death...love ya wu). i think it is feasible, but have to do some work first. know what i mean? Can you print out a map that is bit more detailed than the one you got so we could reference it to the section you are talking about specifically? one that has side streets listed so we could...awww, hell i'll talk about it more w/ya at sonic...k?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah if I can get my helmet off in time before I have to put it back on again like last night.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
deal.. just remember if you get seperated, go somewhere and call me than wait. i'll call you back and i check the phone each time we stop. k?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okie dokie, moonpie.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Blue River Rd. is pretty good as far as KC roads go. There are a couple of places where there is some really rough pavement - if you're gonna run this road fast I'd ride it once slow just so that you know where the rough patches are. There is NO runoff and plenty of rocks and trees so I wouldn't play too hard here.

Beautiful road in the fall, though. The trees pretty much form a canopy over the road in many places. If you get on Blue River from I-435 and take it up to 135th, it makes a nice ride to Jack Stack BBQ.

·
Registered
291 Posts
EricKC said:
I was showing someone I worked here the route we usually take on Yahoo Maps and I noticed Blue River road.. that road looks niiice anyone tried it?

I -think- I may know what road it is cause I used to take College/Red Bridge into the Red Bridge area and that place has some nice windy road and Blue River connects to Red Bridge.

BTW when the leaves start to change I recommend eveyone stroll on over to the Red Bridge area. Nice.

Anyway here is a Yahoo Map link. If you keep clicking north it keeps looking nice..I mean all the way into Swoop park.

Blue River
I live near this road, and I have ridden on it a few times. Between Blue Ridge Road and Red Bridge Road, Blue River Road (confused yet?) is pretty nice. Good pavement, and some sweeper action. Maybe one or two semi-tight turns, but certainly not anything major. That is a fairly short section of road, though - maybe 3 miles.

North of Red Bridge and all the way to Swope Park is a great set of turns, but the pavement is less optimal. I have ridden in to work this way several times, and I have had to exercise some caution due to the pavement changes (patches, cracks, etc.). It's not the worst surface that I've ridden on, but it prevents some serious railing through the turns, because some of the bad pavement is in the middle of the turns, unfortunately.

silent_R1 said:
the road itself looks nice, but the pavement more than likely sucks. true, i haven't investigated it myself, but since it is in MO (no offense to the MO peeps, I used to live there), I going to say that based off my previous experiences with the MO roads...besides that, all the way to Swope park? That isn't especially the best of areas to be in anyway.

edit: after looking at it, I REALLY REALLY wouldn't suggest riding this in the dark. I know exactly where it is and where it ends up, the roads (unless they have re-paved in the last year) are bumpy and generally not in the best of repair. And it runs west of Troost and over Prospect. You guys want to go and do it...go ahead...I'll wait for you in KS. sorry, not for me.
Wow - that's some serious KS bias! I realize that Troost & Prospect are less than desirable streets, but let's be honest - when's the last time you encountered roving gangs on Blue River Road? In the section we're discussing here, there aren't many places for bad guys to walk there on foot, and once they got there, where would they go? I doubt that they'd hang out on the roadside just waiting for vehicles to car/bikejack. If there were any gang activity, it would likely be somewhere in the woods, where they would be less likely to get caught. I certainly can't imagine an organized or even impromptu attack on sportbikers, day or night. And just because Swope Park borders some bad neighborhoods, does that mean that the entire park is infested with gangbangers?

That being said, because of the pavement, I probably wouldn't want to ride north of Red Bridge at night. However, south of Red Bridge, I wouldn't have any issues. The only thing to watch for at that point would be deer.

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
heh OW you only been here a month or two meng give it some time and you will here of some dumb gang shit. im sure its nothing like on the coasts or anything but i believe that sometimes the "wanna bes" can worse than the real thing. as far as teh out in the open thing, here is a case in point...massachusettes is one the busy main streets in lawrence along with 6th, iowa, and 23rd. those are the main 4. well the "royals"...i dunno i guess they some gang in kc and they all just wear royals shit (as if the royals were something to brag about, baseball sucks anyway) anywho to make a long story short the whole crowd of these cool guys took down one other guy right in heart of downtown lawrence. now im not saying that it will always happen im just simply saying that i dont want to increase my chances of being around when shit happens and it happens more often in those areas. the paseo is another awesome place to avoid...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet info. Thank you Obewon, you were my only hope.

I had a great hilarous time when I went to the Starlight Theater this year cause I had to see two musical presentations for my music class. Anyways.. some people (including myself) didnt know you had to pay for parking so we are doubling through the neighborhoods looking for an ATM. I remember pulling up to a gas station and seeing a Crown Vic in the parking lot and these too frotty older white ladies sitting in the car waiting for the driver to come back from the atm. They have PURE fear on thier face..

It was great I just walked in and was like.. "sup guys atm? Cool. Thanks." Even bought something for the trouble.

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
lol you ive always wanted to find a quiktrip in the middle of some ghetto and pull the ole lloyd christmas impersonation...."hey guys! oh, big gulps huh? right on. welp, see ya later..." :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oh I found out MO does not have the worse roads. Oklahoma has some bad roads. Especially going through downtown Tulsa. The highway sucks.

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
chicw/speed said:
Oh I found out MO does not have the worse roads. Oklahoma has some bad roads. Especially going through downtown Tulsa. The highway sucks.

well, there are different degrees of shitty roads. yeah they might be some out there worse than MO, but face it...no matter how many out there that are worse, MO roads still sucketh :flipa :D

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hate Tulsa in general. Only bad expereinces there.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
O.W. Kenobi said:
I live near this road, and I have ridden on it a few times. Between Blue Ridge Road and Red Bridge Road, Blue River Road (confused yet?) is pretty nice. Good pavement, and some sweeper action. Maybe one or two semi-tight turns, but certainly not anything major. That is a fairly short section of road, though - maybe 3 miles.

North of Red Bridge and all the way to Swope Park is a great set of turns, but the pavement is less optimal. I have ridden in to work this way several times, and I have had to exercise some caution due to the pavement changes (patches, cracks, etc.). It's not the worst surface that I've ridden on, but it prevents some serious railing through the turns, because some of the bad pavement is in the middle of the turns, unfortunately.

Wow - that's some serious KS bias! I realize that Troost & Prospect are less than desirable streets, but let's be honest - when's the last time you encountered roving gangs on Blue River Road? In the section we're discussing here, there aren't many places for bad guys to walk there on foot, and once they got there, where would they go? I doubt that they'd hang out on the roadside just waiting for vehicles to car/bikejack. If there were any gang activity, it would likely be somewhere in the woods, where they would be less likely to get caught. I certainly can't imagine an organized or even impromptu attack on sportbikers, day or night. And just because Swope Park borders some bad neighborhoods, does that mean that the entire park is infested with gangbangers?

That being said, because of the pavement, I probably wouldn't want to ride north of Red Bridge at night. However, south of Red Bridge, I wouldn't have any issues. The only thing to watch for at that point would be deer.

you know, I don't have any KS bias, actually. I have lived in Ks only for all told maaaybe 2 years of the nearly 13 I have lived in the KC area. That being said, I'm pretty sure I have a clue as to what I'm talking about. As for the Troost/Prospect area, less than desireable. Well, that is the probably one of hte worst areas in town and it gets worse the furthur north you go towards downtown. THe people that have to live there do not have a choice and I'm not being biased in anyway shape or form, but when you pull up to the stoplight and you have anywhere from 3-5 hookers looking to approach you or hitting you up for crack, dope in any form, you learn pretty damn quick to stay out of the those areas. The prople that will take your stuff (whether it a bike, car, wallet, etc) don't care if they are out in the open. A gun from a distance works just as well as disabling someone so their stuff can be taken.

That being said, there are some decent roads up north of the river. out of KC proper in the northland (such as gladstone, kansas city north, north kansas city, out of the city limits by the airports). Not all MO roads suck. but you are far more likely to encounter them in Jackson county than you are anywhere else. Stacy, you are very correct, alot of the OK roads suck even worse, Espeically Tulsa, but OKC isn't a helluva lot better. It just goes to show what is important to the people with the money. Road repair and maintence isn't very high on some states/counties lists.

I never said I would be adverse to running blue river road, I just said, I felt it would be in the best interests of everyone who might be riding it at night, to investigate it first so we have an idea on where the worst portions of the road may be, relationship to exits (to get to the highway or back to KS should the need arise) and things of that nature. I don't know about you guys/gals, but the last thing I would want would be to be hauling ass in an area I don't know, I don't know the access points w/ a someone after me and either a)hit a pothole or b) make a wrong turn and head further into the hornets nest.

just my .02. they don't have to count for anything :twofinger :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts