Sport Bikes banner

Blue LED valve stem covers.

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Mark_FZ6 
#1 ·
Well, I had totally forgotten these things until I found them behind my desk today. Last year, as a gift, I received a pair of blue led valve stem covers which I kind of, well, never used.

Now that I have the blue fz6, I'm starting to wonder, hey, maybe that would look kind of snazzy around dusk/dawn at least while I'm moving.

I really don't like the light effects people use these days, but it might be fun to see how it looks for kicks riding by some storefront windows (so I can see myself, of course). :p

#3 ·
keep us posted take someone else with you so we can get 2 opinions. thanks jay.

#4 ·
LED valve stem covers

I have a pair of those, green. I bought them the other day with the same idea...it might be cool to drive by a store front and see what they look like. I was buying blue when the sales clerk told me that blue or red would get me pulled over by the cops...as those colors are emergency vehicle colors and could confuse other drivers. The clerk said only white or amber are leagal. I don't know. So I got green. :smilierr

#6 ·
I currently have a blue set of tireflys on my blue Katana as well as blue LEDs in the body. The tireflys look pretty kewl at night because when you get up to speed it looks like there is circular round light on your rims and it makes you a little more visiable from an angle. My buddy has a set of red ones on his red Katana. These do not produce enough light to interfere with other motorsists so you shouldn't have any problems with police on the colors. From directly in front or from the rear they can't relly be seen so no one can mistake them for emergency lights but check your local laws first. In TN they are legal. They figure if they can run the blue lighted windshield washer tabs on their hoods we can run tireflys on our valve stems. 800+ miles and haven't had any problems with them on my bike so far.

#8 ·
I have a set of Blue tireflys on for the past year...
No prob's ... (yet).....

#10 ·
crx81 said:
They STILL work?!? I've read in other fourms that they seem to have a very short life span.
Yep... about 3000 miles on them...
And I have a spare set of batteries for when they run out... (actually, I think my front one is getting dim lately..)

#11 ·
All's I know, like Bill W said, is blue and red are bad. I started with 12 blue LED's w/ blue pod lights on my bike last year. It looked really cool on the silver FZ6 I though. But I got pulled over twice for having them .... once by a state trooper at night on the highway and the other by a local PD ridin down some local road. I didn't get a ticket either time but got the "reserved for emergancy vehicle" speech.
The local cop said any other color would be fine, or I would have to turn them off while riding if I wanted to stay with the blue. I didn't want to do the blacklight/purple cause that's overdone. Didn't want to do yellow or orange cause people could confuse it with my turn signals (this is NJ I'm talkin about here). So my final choice was green.
Now I have 16 green LED's, Greed LED pod lights, and Green tireflies (but they need new batteries) and haven't had a problem since. It doesn't look as good as the blue did but I'm still happy with it. And I don't get pulled over anymore so thats a major + in my book.

#13 ·
#15 ·
I still haven't put them on, but I think the point about the valve stems getting ripped off from the force of travelling at high speeds has some validity, though in my hands they don't seem to weigh all that much.

#16 ·
If that were so, wouldn't all those decorator valve caps (dice, bullets), chrome caps, etc... do the same ?

#17 ·
Binary Jay said:
I still haven't put them on, but I think the point about the valve stems getting ripped off from the force of travelling at high speeds has some validity, though in my hands they don't seem to weigh all that much.

I've seen pics in another forum of the process starting... the valve stems off to an angle slowly starting to lay down. Whether or not they go all the way down and completely pop out, I have yet to see. Either way, it didn't look like a good thing in the pics, so I've avoided those things.

#18 ·
I doubt they would come off before it was time to replace the tires and stems anyway, I certainly wouldn't leave it on the bike for any length of time, I just might throw them on for a joke one night. ;)

#19 ·
thats all valve-stem things are, a joke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.