Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys...

First off I have a small brain. I'm a little confused here. Can some explain to me exactly WHAT "Blipping the Throttle" means? Hell, maybe I'm already doing it and just don't completely understand?

Say I'm coming up to a stop sign at about 40mph. As I'm slowing down to stop I'll pull in the clutch, downshift, and slowly let out the clutch with each gear.

Say I'm cruising the freeway and I need to downshift to pass someone. I'll take a quick peek at my rpm's, pull the clutch, downshift, and I'll try to roughly match the rpm's before letting the clutch back out.

Am I doing this right or wrong?

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
neutom72 said:
Okay guys...

Say I'm cruising the freeway and I need to downshift to pass someone. I'll take a quick peek at my rpm's, pull the clutch, downshift, and I'll try to roughly match the rpm's before letting the clutch back out.

thats the way ive been told. match the RPM's while downshifting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Blipping the throttle is just that, you pull it back "blip" to raise the rpm range.

This is usually done at the track. For instance, I am going down the straight going into the first turn. I may be in 4th or 5th gear depending on the bikes gearing. The turn is a 3rd gear turn. Depending if im trying to pass someone or what line im taking, depending if I am going to late brake or trail brake, depending If I want to be on the gas as early as I can, or trail braking, there are so many variables...

Sorry did not mean to get complicated, so, I'm setting up for the turn, I brake, now I am braking hard and fast, so the rpms are not matching the revs when I down shift, so here I will "blip" the throttle and down shift, once or twice depending what gear I want to be in. Blipping is not always needed, and the better you get with controlling the clutch and letting it out, the less you will need to blip.

For regular street riding, like coming to a stop at a traffic light or stop sign, it is not needed. Just use the clutch.

I'm sure someone can explain it much better than I can. This was just really quick type up, probably not doing it justice. If you go to some races, or watch it on tv, or highlights, you will see/hear them doing it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
By the way, blipping the throttle is almost completely unnecessary. I got my only "unsat" at an MSF Instructor evaluation on the last exercise I had to demo because I "blipped" the throttle once during the exercise.

·
Registered
136 Posts
freeride said:
By the way, blipping the throttle is almost completely unnecessary. I got my only "unsat" at an MSF Instructor evaluation on the last exercise I had to demo because I "blipped" the throttle once during the exercise.

Thats because they dont want a new rider to blip the throttle and forget to pull the clutch in, that would cause them to go faster than they want. Blipping the throttle is for the clutch and transmision on your bike, if the rpms dont match, it causes a lot of stress and wear to the parts.....

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
like dredd said, it is mostly for the track, or if you want a quick downshift. the idea is, get the feel of the bike and quickly pull in the clutch, quick "blip" and the RPMS jump, downshift, let go of the clutch, and not worry about rev matching. if you are just slowing down to a light, it isn't necessary, but sometimes fun :) but anyways, it is for a quick downshift and go type manuver.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i find myself doing it all the time

i dont think you should do it in first gear though

any harm in doing it a lot w/ a high compression engine like my r6?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Watch a race, you'll often see/hear the blips as the riders downshift going into a turn. A blip is a quick rev, on/off the throttle. You let out the clutch (pretty much dump it, none of this slowly matching nonsense) around the top of the blip. How high you rev/when you dump the clutch depends on the rpm you're trying to match. It's tricky learning to do this while keeping even pressure on the brakes. It's not "necessary." In fact, I read an article in Sport Rider that said some racers don't even do it (Eric Bostrom was their example) and just smoooooooooothly let out the clutch when slowing down for a turn. They said the disadvantage to this was that you're missing out on engine braking while the clutch is disengaged, whereas with a quick blip you can take advantage of it to help slow you down. Then again, EBoz isn't exactly behind the other guys on corner entries is he? He compensates by using the brakes more.

The advantage to blipping the throttle on a downshift becomes more obvious when you're riding fast going into a curve and as you slow down you downshift into a gear where you will be really high in the rpm's....letting out the clutch slowly can get a little nerve-wracking at this point, because if it engages your rear wheel is locking up. For any sane street riding there's really no point in blipping, it's an advanced technique. It's getting to be an old school thing too with slipper clutches coming stock on some bikes, and a given on a lot of race bikes

If you want to practice it, find an empty road and get going about 60mph in top gear, and then try to "blip" down all the way to 2nd without slowing down.

·
Registered
304 Posts
apchasse said:
Thats because they dont want a new rider to blip the throttle and forget to pull the clutch in, that would cause them to go faster than they want. Blipping the throttle is for the clutch and transmision on your bike, if the rpms dont match, it causes a lot of stress and wear to the parts.....
I understand why the MSF state people didn't want me to do it. You're partially correct, but it isn't actually NECESSARY at almost any point. You guys talk about racers doing it, and most of them have slipper clutches that make this entirely unnecessary.

I'm a racer too, fellas. WERA member and all. I do it on the track as well, but it's really not needed most of the time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Downshifts are a little trickier. As you start to decelerate, you need to blip the throttle gently to unload the force on the gearbox and get it to that coasting state. This is a good practice for downshifts whether you use the clutch or not as it also helps keep everything spinning in synch. Then, as you blip the throttle, push down on the lever and complete your downshift while closing the throttle again if slowing or opening it back up if accelerating. Again, you shouldn't feel any fore and aft jerkiness.

What's a throttle blip? A very gentle and quick opening of the throttle that raises the engine speed 1-2 thousand rpm. You don't need to grab a handful of throttle to complete these maneuvers.

http://www.fzrarchives.com/articals/tranny_101.html

·
Registered
681 Posts
Am I the only one who shutters at the thought of anyone riding a liter bike, not knowing what this is?:eek:

Not to slam you Neutom......there are plenty of others here that ask 'such' questions...and I shake my head at all of them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I asked because I had NEVER heard of blipping until I came to this website. The MSF course didn't mention this at all. I was only curious.

·
Registered
533 Posts
yes MSF is very basic, they just teach you to operate the motorcycle. i wanted to learn more than what MSF taught me so i bought books, watched races, talked w/ local twistie people etc..

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's more of a race thing. Blipping allows you to change gears in either direction without using to clutch, without locking the rear, and without damaging your tranny. I have a really good write up saved at home. Unfortunalely I'm at work until tomorrow. I'll post the link when I get a chance.

Tas, easy now man a FZR 1000 is hardly a ZX-10RR if he only rides street he could be a very good rider without ever needing to blip.

·
Registered
533 Posts
what do you mean without the clutch? i cannot see someone blipping without holding in the clutch??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts