Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Lightning had an incident yesterday.

Backstory: When I bought the bike the headers were wrapped. I eventually took it off and found a crack that had been poorly welded. It was in the back of the pipe which would require removal to repair. Being the lazy SOB I am, I opted instead to use some exhaust manifold repair putty, good for up to 2400* continuous. I did this and let it cure the night before my incident.

So that morning I hop on the bike headed to work. I ride about a mile to the nearest gas station (which I use fairly regularly) to fill up on my way. Stop and fill up, no problems. Down the road a couple miles I get a hesitation. It doesn't want to go past 3500 RPM. It starts sputtering. I hop on the side streets where I can safely go slower and find that I have to give it gas to keep it from stalling at stoplights.

It has always had a little bit of pop on decel, but now it is loud, like a backfire but from the exhaust. I get one especially loud bang, check engine light comes on. I am almost to work by this time so I figure I can limp there. It is actually running a little smoother since the light came on. Shortly after, I start sounding like an old airplane. I pull over immediately, and this is what I find.

So I will be getting new headers (I don't want to reuse these even if I get them welded properly, they had some rash on the side). But more importantly, what could have cause this?

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Several things actually, the first being that the headers were wrapped. This traps moisture and allows the pipes to rot. The second thing is the design of the engine, it basically vibrates out of necessity,the header cannot take that kind of abuse for that long and something has to give. Perhaps, not knowing exactly what happened I would guess you had one good lean pop that created a b***** crack and allowed more air in the header, when that happened its like a cold air injection which creates a secondary burn and in your case created the lean pop causing the ultimate failure.

That's my guess from your story.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Several things actually, the first being that the headers were wrapped. This traps moisture and allows the pipes to rot. The second thing is the design of the engine, it basically vibrates out of necessity,the header cannot take that kind of abuse for that long and something has to give. Perhaps, not knowing exactly what happened I would guess you had one good lean pop that created a b***** crack and allowed more air in the header, when that happened its like a cold air injection which creates a secondary burn and in your case created the lean pop causing the ultimate failure.

That's my guess from your story.
schlepping putty over part of the pipe probably created hot spots and new thermal stresses to the already weakened pipe. kablooey.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the putty probably didn't help, although it was made specifically for applications like that. Oh well, I had wanted new headers since I first found the crack anyway, this just moved them up my list.

The wrap was from the PO, I didn't wrap them and don't plan on wrapping the new ones. I was 50/50 on the wrap when I got it, but even with it on I had a hot right leg so I didn't want to feel it without the wrap. When I eventually took it off I discovered why my leg was so hot.

I'll probably take the old broken headers off this weekend so I can look at them more closely. I understand about the cold air going in the crack, but the strange thing is that it was running just fine with the crack before the putty, then afterwards (and after filling up) it ran like crap. Then after a while of poorly running it had the fatal pop.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
The putty is coincidence. A small amount of thickness would not increase any stress in a relative amount. Look where your problem started. Near a stress point. If you are worried about heat, do an inside and outside ceramic coating. All the heat leaves the pipe and you'll be amazed how much cooler the system is. You may even have to change your jetting. I like ceramic, it's come a long way in the last couple years.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Who the fuck are you talking about? As far as I know everyone got what they ordered. Did you order shit from me? I didn't think so.

Anyone that has that issue can freely contact me I've never hidden from anyone.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Rather than slandering someone in a post, if you have a business related issue with another member, please take it to them directly, or at least show your work.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
maybe it wasn't you but someone sure made some posts a few years ago slandering someone about windscreens. went mysteriously missing for a long time after that...
it's been so long ago I kind of forget the details.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts