Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel sure now that my bike is not happy with the blended fuels. Is anyone else having problems when it is used?

The things I have noticed are rough idle, stalling at idle, throttle lag/hesitation and a moderate decrease in mileage.

I have eliminated the need for tune up as I have just done my maintenance.

I also use Seafoam at recommended amounts on a regular basis.I do not have a power commander on my bike. It is a 2001 GSXR 1000 that is stock. The only modifications made are a Yosh exhaust and that was added before everyone started with the blended fuel. I have tried mid-grade and high test and it hasn't changed the sputtering/rough idle etc. I did a complete tune up when it first started including adjusting valves etc. and when it continued I was able to find some real gas and all my problems cleared up. I have since pulled the plugs again (approx 3000 miles) since they were replaced and they all look good with the exception of appearing to run a wee bit rich. That was the same as when the old plugs were pulled. I don't really want to put on a power commander right now.

I just wanted to know if any one has noticed a problem and if they did had they found a solution to it. I welcome all input as now the one station locally that I could still get REAL gas is now changed to ethenol blend so now I am screwed. I have readjusted my idle but it is still runs crappy.

I have also attempted a few fuel additives but my understanding is that ethanol has a higher octane rating than unblended fuel but that it requires more volume to obtain the same output. Probably very much over simplified but what I have determined so I don't think its an octane problem.

Hope for some feedback and ride safe.

Anita

·
old member
13,079 Posts
By ethanol blend I assume you mean 5-10% ethanol and NOT E85 gas. We've had the lower blend here in CA for years with no real issues. What is your idle speed once fully warmed up? Have you done a throttle body sync recently? I would also suspect valve adjustment, but you already checked that. Any out of spec or near the limits?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry yes it is the 10% ethanol around here. My idle speed is set at 1200 to 1350 once indicated temp is 150 to 160 on the LCD.

No the valves were surprisingly fairly well within tolerance and most did not require adjustment and the few that did were only out by very small amt.

The mileage on the bike when I bought it in Dec of 07 was 26525 it now has 41699 miles on it tune up and valve adjustment were done at 38850.

I confess as this is my first bike with EFI I am at a loss if anything can be adjusted without going to a power commander the modules on the bike are stock.

Anita

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
the only issue i have had has been the o-rings in the quick disconnects under my tank swelling. i just replaced them with another grade and they have been fine since.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If a throttle body sync hasn't been done in a while (ever?), start there. It's a series of mechanical adjustments that gets the throttle bodies opening together in all 4 cylinders just off idle. It can have an impact on throttle response and smoothness at and just off-idle.

Usually a 4 port mercury tube vacuum gauge is used. It is something you can do yourself with the tool and vacuum lines set up, but a decent shop shouldn't charge more than an hour to do this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. I will have to call and check at the only local bike shop. I have not had good luck with the stealerships. I do not have a vacuum setup at this time but I will also check into finding one. I really prefer to do my own work as long as I have the correct tools and the correct information. Thanks again.I have also heard that the ethanol blended fuel have a tendency to allow water to be emulsified within the fuel unlike full pretrol fuels. The bike does run more like bad gas or water in the gas but if the blended fuel does allow water to mix better draining the tank and looking at the fuel seems like something that probably would not work.
Anita

1 - 6 of 6 Posts