Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the nerve to do something that I've wanted to do for a long time. The black paint is on the inside (second surface). I like the results a lot because the screen looks higher quality now and you can't see all that dust and dirt that gets in between it and the dash that is so hard to clean. I'm not done with it yet though as I plan to go first surface with some factory silver metallic on about 2/3's of it and leave the black on the sides. I'll post pics when I'm done with it.

Attachments

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
IronChefCJP said:
that looks amazing!!!!
It does look nice, and nicely done. I wouldnt mind seeing closer views of the surface both on the inside and out. As well as some idea of the process you go through to get such results.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
jrevans said:
...I'm wondering if you could do that with window tint, instead of paint, for a less permenant modification?
Of course, you could do tint. But it would cost you almost as much as a new tinted shield.
It won't give you that glossy wet look that painting the inside of the shield gives you, nor that perfect factory fit!

Great job, Fazr6! I think you're on to something there.

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
That looks really nice. I had thought about doing that when I first got the bike, seeing as I used to do all my own airbrushing on my R/C cars years back, and the material is basically the same. However, did you come up with some way so that the inside surface would not be rough??

As for tinting, as far as I know, you can't tint the windscreen, b/c you can't heat the tint to make it flow into the compound curves or else you risk warping the screen itself.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enygma said:
That looks really nice. I had thought about doing that when I first got the bike, seeing as I used to do all my own airbrushing on my R/C cars years back, and the material is basically the same. However, did you come up with some way so that the inside surface would not be rough??

As for tinting, as far as I know, you can't tint the windscreen, b/c you can't heat the tint to make it flow into the compound curves or else you risk warping the screen itself.

The inside is just satin finished paint. It's not glossy and doesn't reflect any light which is nice and makes the instrument cluster much easier to read now. It puts the cluster in a nice shadowy place. I tried the do-it-yourself window tint and it didn't work at all because of all the curves as you mentioned. This turned out good and I've done some silver metalic striping that has really set it off. I'll post pics when I'm done messing with it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Looks good as always :dblthumb
Something did pop in my head when someone mentioned trying to use tint but it was to curved.. wonder if anyone consider trying the spray on window tint stuff ... hmmmm.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
WTVa said:
Looks good as always :dblthumb
Something did pop in my head when someone mentioned trying to use tint but it was to curved.. wonder if anyone consider trying the spray on window tint stuff ... hmmmm.
Thanks, Wai. I didn't know there was such a thing. It would be cool to tint the top section if the spray on will do a consistant coat. Where have you seen that stuff? Hey, while I'm thinking about it, how about I come over soon and have you do my light mod for me? :lol

·
Registered
858 Posts
FAZR6 said:
Thanks, Wai. I didn't know there was such a thing. It would be cool to tint the top section if the spray on will do a consistant coat. Where have you seen that stuff? Hey, while I'm thinking about it, how about I come over soon and have you do my light mod for me? :lol
Can't remember were I saw it but it was at a local auto place or autopaint store and is made by VHT, I'm sure you could also find it online somewere too.
Yeah let me know when you have some free time I can do your light mod no problems. Also someones got to be first to try the spray on tint :D and your half way there..

·
Registered
198 Posts
well guys to let you know i did use that spray on tint "smoke" as its called and it makes for a good lookin piece from the front view, but from the inside its not very consistent and can be a little bit of a rough surface, overall for 8.99 im satisfied, ill get pics posted soon as i get my cam to work

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jesfz6r said:
well guys to let you know i did use that spray on tint "smoke" as its called and it makes for a good lookin piece from the front view, but from the inside its not very consistent and can be a little bit of a rough surface, overall for 8.99 im satisfied, ill get pics posted soon as i get my cam to work
Where did you buy it?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I originally bought it for smoking the tailights on my car i dont remember if it was www.motorsports.com or some other car website, but i do know that it came in a spray can written in japanese?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Smoked Windows

I know someone mentioned the lip of the windscreen affecting it, I got no solution for that, but to rememdy the price, a cheaper alternative to actual tint, I know Wal-Mart and Autozone sell apply it yourself window tint. Granted the quality of the tint is questionable, it's extremely cheap. For a car I would never think about doing it mostly because Large window= More chances to screw up, but for a small bike windscreen, it'd probably be pretty easy. Plus they have Mirror Tint which I think would look both fat AND sassy :dblthumb .

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
i removed my windscreen and had all of intention of tinting it. bought the tint from autozone. but as i was geting ready to start, i noticed all of them curves on the screen and noticed how hard it would be, so i haven't done anything to it. but i never thought about paint!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I was thinking once again today do you really need to see out of the wind screen ?? cause I think window tint would be a little hard to do since all the different curves but a piece of vinyl could be contoured easier with a little heat from a hair dryer... and you can get that stuff in almost any color from a sign shop. Just a idea if anyone wants to be the first to try it :D

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hagrunimar said:
I know someone mentioned the lip of the windscreen affecting it, I got no solution for that, but to rememdy the price, a cheaper alternative to actual tint, I know Wal-Mart and Autozone sell apply it yourself window tint. Granted the quality of the tint is questionable, it's extremely cheap. For a car I would never think about doing it mostly because Large window= More chances to screw up, but for a small bike windscreen, it'd probably be pretty easy. Plus they have Mirror Tint which I think would look both fat AND sassy :dblthumb .
I tried the mirror do it yourself window tint and it is much too rigid of a material to conform to the curves. I'm a sign man for a living and apply vinyl graphics every day. Vinyl is very flexible and even it is difficult to do on curved surfaces of any size at all. The tint material has no flexibility and if someone can do even the center section of the screen with it I'd be shocked. Give it a shot if you think you can pull it off. I will say that I used a good brand of tint and the mirror doesn't look mirror and the tint is barely noticable.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WTVa said:
I was thinking once again today do you really need to see out of the wind screen ?? cause I think window tint would be a little hard to do since all the different curves but a piece of vinyl could be contoured easier with a little heat from a hair dryer... and you can get that stuff in almost any color from a sign shop. Just a idea if anyone wants to be the first to try it :D
You don't need to see out of the screen unless you lay down out of the wind. That is why I left the top section clear. Why go the route of vinyl when all you need to do is spray the inside with paint like I did. Again, I'm a sign man and I wouldn't even think of using vinyl. Paint is the way but spray on tint could possibly be an alternative.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am going to do a paint job on mine soon, been planning on it for a while now... and although i would like to put some money up and buy the puig for the sake of a little extra wind protecsh, I am going to do something a bit more custom here.. nice to know someone with airbrush background... I'll post up pics when I do it..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts