Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for pants and jacket that fit better than what I have. Is Bilt good quality? It's strictly street use now but I'd like to do a track day eventually. Not sure if this is up to the task though. Thoughts?

Bilt motorcycle suit

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Bilt is cheap gear both in quality and price. Its Cycle Gear's low end house brand. Some of the stuff seems okay, but I wouldn't trust the stitching in a crash. Sedici is Cycle Gear's higher end house brand , and it does seem to be of much higher quality then the built stuff. It's a bit more expensive but it's still a lot cheaper then the name brand stuff.

If you really have track aspirations though you really should invest in a higher quality suit. On a bike that is really the only protection you have. Gear is where you want to spend your money first, not things like mufflers and power commanders.

The Cycle Gear stuff features great warranties in case they fail. But a warranty won't do you any good when you're sliding down the pavement. I'd rather have a better brand made of better leather, and most importantly with better stitching, on my back. I've had the same Dainese jacket crashed twice and it's held up very well with minor repairs from a professional. The cheap stuff is basically one time use.

I live about a mile from a Cycle Gear and I spend a lot of time and money there. So I see this branded stuff a lot, and so far I haven't bought any except for a spare set of gloves for my girlfriend and some thick cold weather gloves from their Street and Steel cruiser brand. I've seen the Bilt one piece and it didn't look very good. Poor quality, stiff leather and stitching. And the sliders that come in it are a joke. The Sedici actually looked a lot better quality, close to the low end Alpinestars, but I didn't try either on so I can't speak to the fit or stitching quality.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
got a bilt one pc suit. wore it three times and the stitching of the mesh material between the thigh...and the mesh material itself is falling apart. Looks cool and vents well and I wear it on the track....definitely going to be a one fall suit at best. leather is decently thick but the whole thing weights about 65% of a mid-grade A* suit.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
And here I have Alpinestars gloves with stitches coming appart while my Bilt gloves are just like new...

And Bilt boots too, I actually wore Bilt boots on my trip to the Tail of the Dragon, and they still look just fine. Keep in mind that on this very website people were quick to dismiss SHARP tests and chose to believe their anecdotal evidence.

I'm not saying that all Bilt stuff is good or that all Alpinestars stuff is bad, I'm just telling you to check out the gear and decide for yourself.

BUT I'd never touch used gear. Those boots could have fungi in them (athlete foot), that helmet could have been dropped and completely unsafe. I guess I could "stand" the 2pc after having it dry cleaned. But if I'm throwing out the boots and helmet, then I'd be paying $250 plus the dry cleaning for the 2pc...

Why not get this instead?

AGV Sport Palomar Two Piece Suit (Black/Silver Color) :: MotorcycleGear.com

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only wanted the jacket and pants haha. I have alpinestars gloves and boots. I actually have alpinestars leather pants too but they don't have knee pucks for track days. And they fit pretty big.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
FYI to clean a suit you just take the armor out and put it in the washing machine. Let it air dry (but dont hang it...the leather will stretch). Then rub the suit down with the cheapest non-scented lotion with lanolin you can find.

This comes from barnacle bill and I've done it half a dozen times myself already.

·
Registered
32 Posts
And here I have Alpinestars gloves with stitches coming appart while my Bilt gloves are just like new...

And Bilt boots too, I actually wore Bilt boots on my trip to the Tail of the Dragon, and they still look just fine. Keep in mind that on this very website people were quick to dismiss SHARP tests and chose to believe their anecdotal evidence.

I'm not saying that all Bilt stuff is good or that all Alpinestars stuff is bad, I'm just telling you to check out the gear and decide for yourself.

BUT I'd never touch used gear. Those boots could have fungi in them (athlete foot), that helmet could have been dropped and completely unsafe. I guess I could "stand" the 2pc after having it dry cleaned. But if I'm throwing out the boots and helmet, then I'd be paying $250 plus the dry cleaning for the 2pc...

Why not get this instead?

AGV Sport Palomar Two Piece Suit (Black/Silver Color) :: MotorcycleGear.com
Cheap Alpinestar gloves are shit, I wouldnt even wear their expensive stuff.

Also you can wash boots, and should anyways, even new ones after wearing them for a season. It is called caring for your gear. It lasts longer that way.

For helmets if a small drop ruins a helmet, it isnt a good helmet. That said I would never buy a used helmet just because you really do not know what that person has done with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FYI to clean a suit you just take the armor out and put it in the washing machine. Let it air dry (but dont hang it...the leather will stretch). Then rub the suit down with the cheapest non-scented lotion with lanolin you can find.

This comes from barnacle bill and I've done it half a dozen times myself already.
Same thing I do. I do it a 2 times a year during racing season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts