Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if most of you guys have trucks to tote your bikes around. i'll be getting a bike and soon to follow vehicle. i'm wondering whether i should go for a truck or a car. i'd honestly rather have a car, but i would want to take my bike to the track every once and a while. so any opinions you guys have about the subject would be helpful

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
I have a bike and a truck and a trailer. I haven't put my bike in the back of my truck yet, and, quite honestly, I am not completely sure it will fit. The bed is 6.5' long and so is the bike. It will be very close, indeed. Here are pics of my bike and my truck...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with a bed extender it should fit. basically the truck i'd probably get would either be a new ram1500 2door,which would be made into sort of a hotrod truck... or a lightning. but like i said i'd rather have a car than the truck. so whatta think when it comes to takin bikes to the track? can you just ride them there and prep them there?

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
I think most people trailer their bikes to the track. If you go all out and get racing plastics, you won't be able to ride it on the street anyway. Also, you will want to carry extra tires, gear, tools, etc. to the track anyway. You really can't do that on the bike.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
you can ride to the track if you want too... but what would you do if you wrecked going to or while at the track.. how would you get yourself or your bike home?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 02 RSX... trying to sell it currently. Just bought a 04 Titan, for the reason of putting the bike in the back, and eventually getting a trailer for track days. Honestly I would have rathered a harley davidson f150(03), or lightning, but it wasn't really an option for me. So I got the Titan and am more than happy. I can have fun on the bike, and have more space than I usually need with the truck. Torque is a nice change.

·
Registered
116 Posts
freeky929, that truck is saaawwweeeetttt!!! Wish I had one. Luv the matching bike and truck paint schemes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just got a new truck! :headbang I also got a 04 Wrangler that I was going to get a trailer but decided on a truck instead. All my bike have fit in the back if anything have the bike in sideways and strap it down with 4 tie down 2 on each side always worked for me.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I just bought a truck so I could travel with my bike if I want to. I haven't tried to load it up yet, but I hope it will fit. It shouldl with the bed extender.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
I am sorry, but NOTHING will make me buy a truck. I can's stand sitting so high :dunno

·
Registered
558 Posts
truthfully alot of cars can handle a towhitch and a small trailer, my buddy tows his bike and he's got a new chrysler 300.

personally I love trucks, I just got an 04 F150 and just got finished bringing the bike from Atlanta to Philly, then to NH and then back down to Atlanta without a problem. I had to drive with the tailgate down(no bed extender), but it was fine.

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
I've done it both ways.....with it in the back as well as with a trailer

Trailer allowed me to carry the stands, EZ-up, chairs, coolers, carpet, toolboxes, spare wheels/tires etc (2nd pic is my truck with trailer and my track buddies all standing around waiting for rain to stop)

I now have a bed cap and can LOCK all the stuff up overnight...thats REAL cool

After about 2 trips to the track you start to take EVERYTHING in the world with you (you see enough to know you need anything and everything in your garage in case something breaks or a crash)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i wouldn't be traveling with the bike much. and most of my riding would be on the street... but i'm thinking that a fairly normal visit to the track would be in the agenda. cuz thats what most bikes were made for was the twisites so thats what i plan on enjoying.

flip75: is it an inconveince(sp) to not have a truck to drag to bike around? do you ever take your bike to the track? ..... answers for these kinda questions are the ones i'm lookin for

lets say i did crash at the track,i'm sure i would be able to find some way to get it back to the house :(

btw,thanks for helpin me out with the decision guys

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I hate loading bikes in the back of trucks. I prefer putting them on a trailer, even when we are pulling the trailer with a truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if i trailered it with a car,what would i have to do. i don't really want to have a steel hitch hangin off the ass of my car,adding weight,and looking retarded :p so do you guys think i could just tow it with the car? what would that involve

·
Registered
109 Posts
Man you guys need to learn how to pack!

I have a 98 S10 and its stepside so I lose bed space, not a fleetside.

I take my Bike, stands, tools, spare tires, ez up, chairs, leathers, 2 pair boots, 2 helmets, 2 pair gloves, cooler, food, 5 gallon gas cans, and a slew of other supplies. It all fits in my small s10. I have pics at home somewhere, I'll post it later.

I also have a trailer and have taken the bike on the trailer. I get much, much better gas mileage w/o the trailer. Ya, its a v6 4.3, not a big ol V8, but it gets the job done!

I currently also have an 2002 RSX-S, no way in hell I'll put any type of trailer on that. Thats what the track whore truck is for!

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
N1RB26DETT said:
but i'm thinking that a fairly normal visit to the track would be in the agenda. cuz thats what most bikes were made for was the twisites so thats what i plan on enjoying.
I know this off topic, but have you seriously looked into what it costs for doing regular trackdays? It can get REAL spendy REAL fast. Before I got here in Italy I was doing about 2 track days a month in Seattle and Portland. Now I'm doing 2 track days a month here in Italy and it's getting a little spendy. You gotta figure if you have an average 600cc bike you are going to go through a set of tires each full trackday you do. Travel costs, food, gas for the bike, etc. Doing one track day a month easily adds up to $500+ and that's if the track gods are shining down on you and you don't crash, then the cost can vary depending on the severity of the crash. Just food for thought, I spend about $800 a month racing my bike and I don't have to replace my tires but once every four track days. I'm just trying to help you get prepared for what is a VERY expensive hobby and it usually comes with no payback (except the most fun you'll ever have in your life!) Good luck with whatever you do, and have fun! :twofinger

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have no experience on this subject but I do have an idea for what I want to do as far as towing goes. I also have a car ('97 Eagle Talon AWD) that I want to tow to the drag strip in the future along with being able to move the bike around (track days, trips, etc.).

My idea is to have a nice daily driver car (depends on what job I can get when I graduate from college) and then just buy an older truck for towing purposes. Personally, I wouldn't like to drive a truck as a daily driver; poor gas mileage and I like to have decent handling and power on a daily driver. :)

I'm not sure if that is an option for you or not. It is nice to have one vehicle pull double duty, but having multiple vehicles has its own conveniences. Of course, some people aren't comfortable with buying used cars so that may not always be an option.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I drive an 00 Ford F250 powerstroke 4x4, and have a 7x14 enclosed trailer for bikes. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but what cars are you looking at? Many will accept a receiver hitch with enough oomph to tow a bike on a trailer. Receiver hitch only leaves the square hole for the tow bar on the vehicle when the hitch isn't used. My wife has a RAV4 which even works OK. Going up long hills reminds you that it's a 4-banger though. :eek:

Call up or find a web site for a good hitch place in your area and ask them about what can be done for the car models you're considering.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts