Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STLtoday - Motorcyclist crashes after bolting from police

Motorcyclist crashes after bolting from police
By Carolyn Tuft
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
08/15/2008

A 30-year-old O'Fallon, Mo., man was seriously injured when he fled from St. Peters on a motorcycle at a high rate of speed and crashed on Interstate 370 in St. Charles on Thursday evening.

The driver -- Antwayn R. Mayfield -- was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital East by ambulance where he was in serious condition.

The Missouri Highway Patrol reported that Mayfield was riding a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja being pursued by St. Peters Police officers when it crashed just before 8 p.m. on the highway.

The patrol reported that Mayfield was speeding, attempted to make a curve, lost control of the motorcycle and was ejected from the bike.

No word on whether Mayfield faces any charges or why he was being pursued by police.

The accident closed the highway and tied up traffic while police worked to investigate the crash.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Another fine example cagers and politicians can point to, while demanding more regulation of "crotch rockets"

·
Registered
82 Posts
I work 2 miles from where this happened and there is really no such thing as a curve on this highway. Sounds to me like a newb.

·
Win!
366 Posts
He's probably been riding for years, but he's still a noob. I bet it was a 1000 too. I know guys that have been riding 1000s for years that can't ride worth a shit. It's all about training, but we all know that. Any hobby....skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, playing backgammon, all require that you study the game to get any degree of skill at it. Most guys aren't students. It's more of a fad for them. "yeah I used to be into bikes and all that" meaning "I bought a new bike once and rode it in a straight line for 3000 miles in three years, but i'm not into that anymore."
Cops will pursue you mercilessly like a dog.

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
Wow. I don't understand how people can't get away from the cops on a newer super sport, especially on a highway. It had to be either a mechanical failure, or the guy just sucks at riding.

·
Win!
366 Posts
traffic will do it. come around a corner fast and "OH SHIT" then BANG, (silence as your fly threw the air and remember your first kiss), then SKID, SKID, BANG!!

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Wow. I don't understand how people can't get away from the cops on a newer super sport, especially on a highway. It had to be either a mechanical failure, or the guy just sucks at riding.
You got it right.

If you are stupid enough to flee from police in any vehicle, I can guarantee you don't know the first thing about the technical aspects of riding well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Ton wrote:
"It had to be either a mechanical failure, or the guy just sucks at riding"

He probably just sucks as a rider.

GSXR

·
Registered
198 Posts
He should try the "curves" on the 215 here in Vegas. Some fun shit. Traffic? Oh thats fine. Theres enough room on the inside shoulder for 3 cars to fit. I rode my cage though it a few times passing people.

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Most guys aren't students. It's more of a fad for them.
Very true. I know alot of guys on 750s/1000s who love to get the front wheel up, but then get passed on an offramp. People dont get that there is so much physics and technique to riding. I am barely scratching the surface @ 10,000 miles.

These morons ride 1,000 miles over a summer and think they are pros.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I work 2 miles from where this happened and there is really no such thing as a curve on this highway. Sounds to me like a newb.
Yeah, the straight line squid. But straights with bumps cause squids problems, too.

What's kooki is how out of touch a novice rider is with abilities. He thought he could deal with the stress of a fast ride combined with the stress of the law in hot pursuit? Too much self esteem crap in our public schools.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Very true. I know alot of guys on 750s/1000s who love to get the front wheel up, but then get passed on an offramp. People dont get that there is so much physics and technique to riding. I am barely scratching the surface @ 10,000 miles.

These morons ride 1,000 miles over a summer and think they are pros.
:eek:nfloor

Just the other day, I had a guy on a GSXR1000 pull up next to me (I was first in line for the off ramp, but there were two parallel lines that eventually merge on the ramp).

He revved it a little and gave me a cocky smile (of course no helmet :bitchslap). I just nodded my head with no real intention of racing him.

But then I decided that I would give the on ramp a little spirited effort, but back off if anything looked remotely dangerous.

He launched, front wheel popping up a little and had me cold...but when the ramp started to twist (this one is an S shape with a downhill grade and nice banking) he just SLAMMED on his brakes for the turn.

I shot past him on the inside, hanging off the bike, and by the time I looked back to merge he was a dot.

What is it about these guys (particularly the ones on open class bikes) that makes them think they are hot shit?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If you think you can out run this one. Go ahead......:)

They have also started popping up in my neck of the woods. (Houston, TX)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,723 Posts

For real?

I heard that busa cop bike was a mock up for something and that no depts used those bikes here in the US.

I dunno?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
What is it about these guys (particularly the ones on open class bikes) that makes them think they are hot shit?
The "R1" or "GSXR1000" is a scratch-and-sniff sticker with superhero dust.

Where have you been?

·
Registered
591 Posts
He should try the "curves" on the 215 here in Vegas. Some fun shit. Traffic? Oh thats fine. Theres enough room on the inside shoulder for 3 cars to fit. I rode my cage though it a few times passing people.
wait .... there are curves on the 215 in Vegas????

They must have added those after I moved!!! lol
I liked riding out to the different marina's at the lake. Just had to watch for sand in the road.

·
Banned
3,836 Posts

If I saw that in my mirror, I would stop. My bike is no match for a Hayabusa, unless it's in the twisties. Thankfully the cops around here only have crown vic's, a few under cover cop cars (I saw one Cavalier with a siren and lights, funny story but I don't want to incriminate myself), and apparently they have a few chargers? Still, a 5.7L charger won't stay with a 600 + sport bike.

I bet in the next 10 years the cops will change over to honda civics or something due to gas prices.. haha.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts