Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's a 2009 zx6r I was trying to start it for the first time since the end of october when I put it away.

I assume this is just because of the fuel sitting around (even though I used stabilizer and I've never had a problem before).

Anyway, it fired up and then died right away, and now it won't start again, but turns over fine. It has been on a tender all winter so it's not a low/dead battery.

I'm going to drain the tank and put sea foam in the new tank of gas, anything else I have to do about crappy fuel?

Thanks!

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
how slow does the motor turn over?

newer vehicles with a lot of electronics need a very strong battery.

mine was I thought turning the motor over fast enough but not anything like it used to and it wouldn't start. it turned out with a new battery it fires right up really quick. I was about to blame the power commander.

it would turn over plenty fast enough for a carbbed bike to start for sure.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm always suspicious of the battery if a bike is hard starting in the spring. If it is the original battery (4 yrs old) then I would replace it anyway rather than wait for grief. Sometimes one cell goes bad which allows the engine to turn over but there is not full voltage. You can dump an ounce or two of gas-line antifreeze in the tank to absorb any moisture in the gasoline. Also disconnect the battery and lightly sand the terminals and connector rings.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
How long did it run? How long did you run it after you put fuel stabilizer in the tank last fall? If you didn't run the stabilized fuel all through the fuel system, you probably have stale fuel in the injectors and lines.

Try jump-starting to make sure you have enough battery power.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bike fired up and died right away. Only ran for a second or two.

I put the stabilizer in at the gas station and then rode the bike home so probably 15-20 minutes to circulate.

Only about 2600 miles on the plugs.

·
Registered
971 Posts
My V-Strom did a similar thing this past December. Started up, I rode it about 1/2 mile and it died. Wouldn't start again. I drained the tank, put a gallon of fresh gas in and once the lines cleared and primed the new gas, it ran fine. Shouldn't be anything else you need to do once you've got it running and can burn a tank with SeaFoam in it.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Do you run ethanol? It is OK for normal use up to about 10% The 15% and greater blends can really mess up a small, high RPM engine. Not sure if a Petrol stabilizer is going to work on ethanol. Hydrocarbons and carbon based alcohols are not even close chemically. If there is a pure gas source available, go get a couple of gallons of pure gas and add that to your tank.:birdy

Here is the URL listing the stations in my satate that sell pure gas. You should be able to link into your state from the URL;
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

That would be a cheap first step, unless you have to drive forever to find a station that sells pure gas.:easy
I'm lucky. I'm 11 miles from one with 93 octane. My babe loves it when I fill her up with the good stuff.:calvin

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I had this exact same problem with my track bike. Put it on the tender over winter (didn't put stabilizer in the tank, b/c my winter was just 2 months long, and there was no gas anyways haha). Tried starting it, and it turns over good, but doesn't actually start running. Put the voltmeter to the battery, and sure enough it was shit.

Bought a new battery, started right up.

I would try jumping it off of your car battery. If it starts up from the car battery, but won't keep going after you disconnect, it is either going to be the rectifier or the battery itself. Put a voltmeter to the battery while it is off the tender, we saw a constant decrease in voltage. This will tell you if it is the battery or not.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Does it sound like this?:

If so, you have a bad connection somewhere. Mine was the wiring for one of the plugs got knocked loose or some such thing.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I had this issue.

The day after a track day, out of nowhere my 09 ZX6R just wouldnt start up. It'd turn over and over.
My friend suggested it might be a stuck valve or something. Said to shake the ever living bajeesus out of it.
I did, I don't know if it helped, but after letting it sit awhile, I just kept cranking it over and it eventually started to catch and then eventually run on its own again. It took a long time, a few minutes turning over. No idea to this day what happened.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting unconnected...

Well I just tried starting it again and it will crank and crank and then it ALMOST starts, but then it just goes back to cranking. Is it cool to hold the starter in for several minutes? I've considered trying, but I don't want to burn the starter out either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would guess your battery needs a good charging. Take it to where you bought it and have them charge it for 3-4 hours. Very similar thing happen to me this past Friday when I tried to fire my bike up for the first time this year.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
cough cough, check the battery.

Just because it was on the tender doesn't mean the battery is still good. Mine was charging fine, but as soon as we disconnected it, it was losing charge when we tried to turn it over (a drop from about 10V down to 3V).

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Interesting unconnected...

Well I just tried starting it again and it will crank and crank and then it ALMOST starts, but then it just goes back to cranking. Is it cool to hold the starter in for several minutes? I've considered trying, but I don't want to burn the starter out either.
Hmm, good question. I don't know the answer, I looked up, but I couldn't find anything to suggest starter motors burning out from a prolonged use. Just things about electrical issues burning up stuff.
With that said, I still wouldn't let it turn over for 5 minutes straight.
Mine went from turning over and over to catching ever so slightly more and more until it finally ran on its own again.

If it's starting to catch, I'd keep at it. Give the starter a break every so often to cool down, If necessary.

Also, I had rocked it back and fourth in gear pretty violently to try to jar the valvetrain in case it was a stuck valve. I can't say it helped, but it didn't hurt. Anecdotal, but worth a shot. My bike DID start after :p

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
If a battery has enough juice to turn a motor over continually...I really dont think it's the battery. Keep your receipt!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I put it back on the tender and now I'm almost positive it's the battery.

Instead of the yellow "low charge" light, it is a blinking yellow "replace the battery" light.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Also, I had rocked it back and fourth in gear pretty violently to try to jar the valvetrain in case it was a stuck valve. I can't say it helped, but it didn't hurt. Anecdotal, but worth a shot. My bike DID start after :p
A 'stuck valve' would be struck by the piston, bending or breaking the valve or holing the piston. There is no clearance in a sportbike engine in regards to pistons/valves. The opening valves "chase" the downward traveling piston, which in turn, "chases" the closing valve as it returns to the top of its stroke. They miss each other by just a couple of thousandths of an inch.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts