Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 YZF 600 R will not start,the gas and oil light both come on when i try to start the bike I used to hear a suction sound as soon as i turned the key on now there is nothing Press the start button and nothing except the gas and oil light come on it is in neutral kickstand down tried it with it up also and nothing Please help!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
we will start with the really stupid stuff.
try kicking the bike into 1st then back to neutral. see if your neutral indicator light comes on.
make certain you have the kill switch turned to run.

if you have done all this and the bike still does not start.

turn the bike on and look at your head lights. are they dim? if yes your battery is low
if no it could be a variety of problems.

if you need to get the bike moving now i suggest you bump start the bike.
do this by turning it on, putting it in 2nd, pulling in the clutch, paddle it forward as fast as you can, drop the clutch, this should start the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was my kill switch, got it to turn over almost started and then heard a hissing noise and then gas started to leak out. Tried to start it again to see if i could pin point where the gas was comming from and it wouldnt turn over really

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
ok if the bike is cranking now but leaks fuel we need to look at the fuel system.
start with where is the fuel leaking from. if it is leaking from a hose, replace the hose, if it leaks from your pet cock replace that, if it leaks from a connection replace the cheep part first.
how i would trouble shoot is by starting at the tank, do you see it leaking from the tank-no then move on
look at the petcock does it look like it is leaking, how about the hose connecting it to the fuel pump (i think your bike was the first year with fuel pumps but i could be wrong)
does the fuel pump leak, the fuel line from the pump to the carburetors
finally the carburetors themselves- if they are leaking then tell us and we will start on the carbs (or take it to a shop carbs are complex and can be broken if you don't know what you are doing.)

things that can make a bike start leaking fuel: has never seen the inside of a garage/ sun baked, sat for years unmoving, you recently worked on the bike and forgot to hook every thing up, and you put ethonal mixed fuel in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts