Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I went for a ride (1988 EX500), gassed up, went about 45 miles. I stopped at an ATM turned off bike, started it went to a convienant store stopped when I went to start the bike again it wouldn't start. It pulled the choke, it would start run and die, I did that for a while and got it to run with the choke on and revving the throttle till I got home, about a mile away. I let it sit for a while, tried starting it and no go what so ever. Then I drained the carbs, checked the battery connections and the spark plug conections. This year I changed the battery and the spark plugs. Anyone have any suggestions. It sounds like the starting is working and turning over, the engine just won't get going.

·
Throat Puncher!
471 Posts
Gas? ;) Take the air filter off and spray some of that shit in the carbs that helps it start ( can't think of the name of it right now). Keep the choke up on it too, may need someones help! We had to do that with mine when I first started it, it had been sitting for awhile. Runs smooth now though.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
That it runs on choke (even when warm) suggests that it's a carb issue. Something's prolly blocking your pilot circuit. Seems like a carb clean is in order.

·
Registered
153 Posts
mastersixx said:
Gas? ;) Take the air filter off and spray some of that shit in the carbs that helps it start ( can't think of the name of it right now). Keep the choke up on it too, may need someones help! We had to do that with mine when I first started it, it had been sitting for awhile. Runs smooth now though.

it called ether or try carb cleaner

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I'll try that. I've been running it all summmer, and it happened after a 45 mile ride. I also rebuilt and cleaned my carbs this summer, but it dosen't me that dirt didn't get down in there. I'm wondering if the gas is bad?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Check your plugs. They'll clue you in on any carb problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When starting your bike don't leave the choke on. That fouls your plugs. Just use the choke to start it then turn it off and let it warm up. Fouled plugs can ruin a good day of riding.

Keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
enos said:
That it runs on choke (even when warm) suggests that it's a carb issue. Something's prolly blocking your pilot circuit. Seems like a carb clean is in order.
Yup... The pilot jet is clogged and the only way it'll get fuel enough to run is by the enrichener..

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd start with the carbs. Also, the petcock has a small filter in it to trap junk before it makes it's way into the carbs. If the petcock is partially clogged, the bike could run lean until it dies. It might be worthwhile dissassembling and cleaning out the petcock.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, thank god it was something in the carbs...well jets I believe. I tore it apart cleaned it and didn't see anything or any dirt, but put it back together and it fired right up. It sounds better now than ever. I just didn't think that would be it since i just cleaned the carbs a few months ago. But I'm going to try and replace the fuel filter so that dosen't happen again. Thanks fellas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts