Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 95CBRF3 with 13k I think. Anyway I have had the bike for about 2 months and runs great. Took it to Myrtle Beach bike week May 15 and one night in traffic I stalled it and it would not start back up(lights where dim) like battery was dead. One hour latter it started. (Traffic was heavy I guess batter was overheating). Two nights latter I was sitting at a stop sign and it just shuts off while in neutral so i push it and jump it and it keeps wanting to fall on its face so i take it to the hotel reving it at stop lights to keep it going. (I figured the battery was bad) Well that has been about 2 weeks and the bike has been firing right up so I did not buy a battery. Well it did die yesterday at a stop light(not overheating) but fired right back up. Then today rode for about 20 minutes to a friends house went inside for 20 minutes came back out tried to start it and it would try to turn over but woulnd't. Would not even start buy pushing and jumping. Well an hour later it starts up. What is the deal with this thing. If the battery heats up and is old would it cause it not to start.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When it dies, does it cough and sputter and lurch before it quits, or does it just quit?

If it restarts an hour after it quits, it may be the battery is discharging while the bike runs, then recharges slightly enough to start it after some time passes.
Is it a maintenance free battery? It may be low in 1 cell for battery juice (electrolyte).

Is the battery older than 2 years or so?Try putting a volt meter across the terminals and see what the voltage it. It should be above 12.0, closer to 13.4, Start the bike and rev it to about 3,000 rpm. See if the voltage increases at all. (I'm not sure of the numbers)

If it increases, then your rectifier should be good (the thing that charges your battery when the bikes running... they're known to go bad in hondas)...

Next thing would be to replace the battery.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My brother had this same problem with his car. If it sat for awhile it would start, and if he turned it off right after, then tried to start it it wouldnt turn over. It ended up being a problem in the fuel line somewhere but i'm not sure specifically where. For a while after it started it would sputter and he'd have to give it alot of gas, especially when it first started up.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I suspect the battery came the bike. make sure the connections are secure and hooked up to the correct terminals. I once bought a bike that the PO hooked the POS wire to the NEG terminal and vise versas. and he wondered the starter never worked for him. but he kick started it and ran it that way. needless to say that battery ans a couble of wires were fried and I had to get a new batter and fix some wires. make sure it is full of fluid. test the voltage across the terminals or borrow someone elses battery ans see if the bike runs better or the same. Although i had a freind that borrowed a battery from me to help him with his poorly wired bike, and he killed that battery and bought me a new one. so you are taking your chances doing that. if it's not electrical I would look at gas flow.

look at this other stuff too. you might have a battery on it's way out and your idle is set too low, that will make your bike die. sitting in traffic, your battery is not charging, you need to have rpms up for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts