Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the new situation.

I will get off my bike after either riding for 6 miles to work and letting it sit in the sun for 3 or more hours, some times covered, sometimes not, or I will ride it a little longer and let it sit for 5 mins...either way when I come back to start it here is what happens.
I turn the key and the oil light comes on, and the neutral light comes on (if I have it in neutral), then when I hit the start everything goes out and of course she won't start.
I hear a little "click" down in the battery area.
Then I will turn the key off and back on again and nothing...but if I turn the handles all the way to the right (kinda jerking it) the the lights come back on, but when I hit the start they go out again.
Now some one told me to put the bike in 2nd and roll back a bit and it will start...that worked one time, but not today. I just had to keep turning her on and off and turning the handles...and eventually she started.

I checked my ignition wires (from my last fiasco with the saudering inside the ignitinon), but it is good to go after I resaudered it from the last time. any suggestions?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Try checking the main connection with the 30 amp fuse, located right next to the cdi box under the drivers seat. There's a connection there with a red cover and under that is the 30 amp fuse. Mine was doing the same thing just sitting in the garage - turn key, hit button - click click click - to I just unplugged that main connection, squirted some electric contact cleaner in there and plugged it back in. She works now.

Oh, and btw, it's spelled 'solder' not 'sauder' - sauder is a cheap furniture manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tiamat said:
Try checking the main connection with the 30 amp fuse, located right next to the cdi box under the drivers seat. There's a connection there with a red cover and under that is the 30 amp fuse. Mine was doing the same thing just sitting in the garage - turn key, hit button - click click click - to I just unplugged that main connection, squirted some electric contact cleaner in there and plugged it back in. She works now.

Oh, and btw, it's spelled 'solder' not 'sauder' - sauder is a cheap furniture manufacturer.
Ok I will give it a try....hey on a Sat night with a few in me:alky .....I spell phonetically... LOL

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Kawagirl,

I have had the same problem for over three years now. I have gone crazy thinking it is the starter relay. It is electrical though. I believe it to be in the actual starter switch on the handlebar. See http://www.webzxr.co.uk and look under Ken's tips or the other Tips section. It will show a cure for the problem. Apparently the starterswitch is not making contact all the time and causes the intermittant starting.

I have yet to try it though. I looked at it by taking the switch apart, but it seems easier to do with the switchgear removed from the bike. Right now I just don't have the time or inclination to bother with it.

Stone

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stonecoldchavez said:
Kawagirl,

I have had the same problem for over three years now. I have gone crazy thinking it is the starter relay. It is electrical though. I believe it to be in the actual starter switch on the handlebar. See http://www.webzxr.co.uk and look under Ken's tips or the other Tips section. It will show a cure for the problem. Apparently the starterswitch is not making contact all the time and causes the intermittant starting.

I have yet to try it though. I looked at it by taking the switch apart, but it seems easier to do with the switchgear removed from the bike. Right now I just don't have the time or inclination to bother with it.

Stone

Stone, that shounds about right because when i jerk the hancled bars and make a little clunking noice then the lights pop on, thanks for the tip ...since Ibleedgreen pointed out in another thread that I was so bored I painted the threads in my ties...I will tackle this new problem this weekend. I'll keep you posted

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Cool. I believe according to Ken's Tips, a small washer needs to be placed behind the starter button to make better contact with the connector switch. Apparently, it wears out over time. Who knew?.....

Good luck.

Stone

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep they are tight, checked fueses, wires ect.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well took apart the starter assembly, took a little sand paper to the connectors to take off the carbon and viola, no problems at all. Thanks guys for your help. Saved me from taking her to the dealership and spending 30-60 bucks.

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
kawagirl said:
Well took apart the starter assembly, took a little sand paper to the connectors to take off the carbon and viola, no problems at all. Thanks guys for your help. Saved me from taking her to the dealership and spending 30-60 bucks.

The starter assembly or the switchgear button I mentioned?
Reason being is someone else told me once the the alternator brushes(on the left side of the bike) get worn and can cause irradic starting problems.

Was it a PITA to do?

Did you take any pictures? :)

Thanks,
Stone

·
Banned
101 Posts
kawagirl said:
Saved me from taking her to the dealership and spending 30-60 bucks.
LMAO, you mean a dealership that charges such low prices exists? Ma'am, simply walking INTO a dealership out here in MA costs $100..... :lol Glad you're up and running again! :)

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stonecoldchavez said:
The starter assembly or the switchgear button I mentioned?
Reason being is someone else told me once the the alternator brushes(on the left side of the bike) get worn and can cause irradic starting problems.

Was it a PITA to do?

Did you take any pictures? :)

Thanks,
Stone
Umm it was the thing I press to start the bike, it was not that hard to do. I will do it again and take pics for you this weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts