Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't make any sense. It will shift into first when im moving, and second from a stop, but not first. I had to take off in second a couple times on my ride today after the shifter just wouldnt go down into first from neutral.

My shifter every so often would act funny in the past. I would come to a stop and not be able to find neutral for a long time. And i dont think it was shifting either, not going into gear either up or down. And then today it wont go into first from neutral. And I'm pretty easy on the bike, too. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Welcome to the wacky world of Honda trannys...This probably happens when you come to a stop from speed, like off the expressway or highway or having been in 5th or 6th gear. My F4i won't drop from 6th to 1st at full stop. I have to let the clutch out to the friction point and I will hear it click down a gear. I do this until first. Many times it will hit neutral on the way down. It usually happens when I let the bike slow to less than 15 mph in 5th or 6th before downshifting

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Bike trannys are prone to that behaviour, let the bike roll forward a little and you'll be able to shift.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, that sounds like what i was doing. shifting from 5th or 6th to first at a stop. Thanks for the info. good to know someone else has the same thing going on.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Happened on my Kawi a lot, too. Aparently the true neutral finder that they love so much makes Kawis--especially old ones--REALLY prone to this behavior. Rolling the bike never worked for me. I had to let the clutch out all the way (In neutral of course) and then pull it back in and she shifted just fine.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
My CBR F2 did that everytime I rolled to a stop in neutral.. Shift into Neutral while still slowing down messes up the tranny for some reason.. It stopped once I waited until a full stop before hitting N

·
Registered
209 Posts
i sometimes have that problem too. try downshifting as you slow down instead of waiting until your at a stop and then downshifting like 4 gears at once. its also a good way to practice mini-blipping as you slow down.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, if you wait till you are completely stopped before trying to downshift into first you will probably have that problem the majority of the time. Happens to me quite frequently if I have to make a sudden stop and didn't have time to downshift before stopping. At that point I'll have to let out the clutch slightly till it grabs and then downshift again.

Sometimes mine doesn't want to go into first if I come to a stop in first, put it in nuetral (because I think I have time) and then try to put it back in first without letting out the clutch first.

When all else fails let out the clutch a bit or rock the bike back and forth and try it again.

Power Commander III
K&N
Fender Eliminator
Shock Carbon Fiber Turn Signals
LSL Framesliders

If you want it, come get it!!! You can "say hello to my little friend". :ar

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
JustinW said:
Sometimes you have to roll bikes foward/backwards a little while stopped to get 'em in first.
+1

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
or when at a stop, release the clutch 1/2 way and then pull it in all the way. and then try shifting down.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
A sequential gearbox by nature works best when the cogs are moving. At a stop it’s difficult to the cogs to engage. Moving the bike forward and aft is a good idea if you are stuck between gears as is letting the clutch out a little bit to get some movement into the gearbox.

The best solution would be to make sure you are in first gear before you come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Why in the world are you shifting from 5th or 6th to first at a stop?? Down shift through the gears and use engine braking to slow down and put it into first before you stop. The way you're doing it you can't rush off if some truck is bearing down on you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts