Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is for a 93 ex500 kawasaki, so carbed.
The bike ran good recently. I rode it to school on tuesday and no problems.

I left it outside for 1.5 days and during that time we got 4 inches of rain and the temps have dropped to the 50's and 60's.

Today I start it up and go out, and the bike wont rev past 4k in the lower gears. I twist the throttle and get no response. I realized this in the highway so I was almost SOL.

Im writing this from school/work so I still need to get back home.

I can get off the line relatively fine, but when I reach 3 to 4k is where the problem is.

Also, when traffic started flowing, I upshifted and twisted the throttle and I got it up to 7k at 65 mph, so seems like an issue from gear 1-3.

I haven't done anything to the bike except let it sit out in the rain. My gas cap does seem to have some slight gaps and doesn't seem to make a perfect seal, also the gas cap gasket is worn out.

Maybe water got into the gas? It literally rained for 20 hours straight, sometimes very hard rain. I can only hope it's this simple because I don't think I'm ready to disassemle and clean out or adjust the carbs yet.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Sounds like it could be water. I'd start by draining the gas and refilling with fresh. Drain the carb bowls as well if you can. You'll need to use the PRI setting (if there is one) on the petcock to refill the carbs. Just make sure you put it back to RUN afterward. Then look into getting your gas cap fixed/replaced.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do I drain the gas besides syphoning it out through the top?

When the tank is off, do I just open the valve and gravity will let it flow out?

Any detailed DIY about cleaning and rebuilding motorcycle carbs?

Now the bike stalls when I rev it in any gear or nuetral. It starts and idles ok, but dies when revved.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Not sure on the 'correct' method...but if it were me, I'd get a jug and siphon whatever I could out of the tank, fire it up and let it run til it shuts down, then fill the tank up with good gas and run her some more and see if it starts to clear up. There's several fuel additives on the market that are supposed to help with water in the tank also....IIRC, one type separates the water from the fuel and the other type mixes it in with the fuel and adds chemicals that allow the motor to burn it....I'd prefer the latter.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Draining it through the petcock will be dog ass slow, even if you do have the prime setting, which I don't think you do. The fastest way is to take the tank off and hold it upside down. Then get the remainder out through the petcock hole. Either take the petcock off or put it in RES (reserve) and apply some sort of vacuum to the thing (use a big syringe). You have to get EVERYTHING out because even a little water can cause a lot of trouble.
Do NOT run it until it dies because that will just put more water in the carbs. It will also die because it's getting water not because it's out of fuel.
Each carb has a little screw on the very bottom of the bowl. If you undo that screw then that will drain the carbs. I forget if the EX500 carbs have a little spout that you can put a tube on so gas won't get all over the engine.

Then fill it with clean gas and some carb cleaner that also takes care of water. Or fill up with E85... I'm not sure how safe that is for this bike. Those cleaners that absorb water are just a little bit of ethanol.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If you have the tank off and empty, it would be a good time to run a little gas through it with the petcock on reserve to clean the debris out of the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The easiest would be to pull the fuel hose off the carbs that comes from the fuel tank and put it into a large container. Then turn your petcock to "prime" so that the fuel will just flow freely into the container. But as enos, said, it is much quicker to just take the tank off and much better way to assure that all of the water is out of the tank. Also I would take a look in your airbox to see if there is any water in there and if your filter is soaked like a sponge. If so it would be a good idea to replace it. If there is water in the airbox, it is possible that it got into your carbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts