Sport Bikes banner

bike won't go into 1st gear

68K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Vaibhvnr 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys. I have a little problem with my 01 gsxr 600. Sometimes when I'm stopped at a light, the bike won't go into 1st gear after stopping. I keep pushing it down but it won't budge. It doesn't always happen but whenever it happens, it makes me panic. The bike was dropped once and caused the left foot peg by the gear shifter to bend and twist a little bit. Could the problem be caused by the fall? I dunno what to do.

#2 ·
Your linkage might be binding up and preventing it from moving correctly. Each time you push down, it should go to the next lower gear and then the lever should return to the middle position. Is the shift lever returning?

#3 ·
If the linkage was bad, he would have problems downshifting into any gear. Examine your linkage anyway.

Also, try slipping the clutch a little bit to move the countershaft and see if that helps you put it into gear.

Reactions: EricV
#4 ·
the shift lever does return but it just won't go into first gear sometimes. had the problem again yesterday at a light when i tried to put it into first gear from 2nd so i had to start off in 2nd gear. what is the linkage? i am a noob.

#5 ·
It's a normal problem caused by coasting to the light with the clutch in and shifting down through several gears. It's because of the design of motorcycle transmissions. You should go downshift-release clutch-downshift-release clutch-downshift release clutch until you get to first gear, while still rolling, and the clutch released. Hold the clutch in only when you're coming to a stop or are sitting at the light.

#12 ·
It's very possible to line up the gears on the countershaft in a manner that the dogs on the sliding gears can't engage each other. You need to roll the bike forwards or backwards to spin the countershaft.
I didn't know about the rolling thing until now.. and as I tried to get to 1st gear from neutral, the gear box used to make sound, a sound similar to drum roll.... could that have damaged any part of my gearbox!?!

#6 ·
It's very possible to line up the gears on the countershaft in a manner that the dogs on the sliding gears can't engage each other. You need to roll the bike forwards or backwards to spin the countershaft.

#8 ·
jeepcoma said:
It's a normal problem caused by coasting to the light with the clutch in and shifting down through several gears. It's because of the design of motorcycle transmissions. You should go downshift-release clutch-downshift-release clutch-downshift release clutch until you get to first gear, while still rolling, and the clutch released. Hold the clutch in only when you're coming to a stop or are sitting at the light.
Ya.. Since I started doing that, I never had an issue clicking into first..

Let us know how it works out for you..

#9 ·
My bike does this too, its most definatly a noob thing from not hitting every gear when downshifting. I found theres two ways to fix it if it wont downshift.

Let out the clutch in. gear and let the bike stall, start it then downshift (this option should be avoided)

you can roll the bike back and forth in neutral like someone stated. Or I like to release the clutch then grab it all the way again and then it will usually shift to first.

haha thats three ways :)

#11 ·
Just learn to downshift correctly...practice at every intersection / stoplight where you have plenty of time to stop. I'd forgotten how many things I knew about riding, until I started riding again...I rarely have to use much brake at all when I've got fair warning at a stop light... I simply go down through the gears, and right before I stop, I've got the clutch disengaged, with the bike in first.....

Chris

I thought I Was wrong once...but I was mistaken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.