Sport Bikes banner

Bike with no title. Should I even consider it?

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Chaze504 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey gentlemen,

So I think I have found the deal of the century...But the damn thing may be stolen even though he says that the VIN is clear. Anyone have any experience with a situation like this???

TRIUMPH DAYTONA 2004

Tell me if you guys think its worth it. Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
In this earlier posting a few days before the one I posted he said that if he gets a title he will sell it for 3500...

2004 Triumph Daytona

You think I can get him to get the title with me before I hand him the cash?
As easy and cheap as duplicate titles are to get why would you give up $2000???

Its a scam.

#8 ·
Most likely a scam but if its a real deal I would only buy it with the intention of selling it part by part to make some money. If you buy a bike with out a title and go try and get one you run a 50/50 chance of it coming up stolen and them taking your bike (you out $1500) or getting a title. I wouldn't gamble the $1500 then.

#11 ·
I swear when I first clicked on your link it was of two dudes riding a motorcycle in a thong. In fact, I know it was. Something about this thread is suspicious. Is there more to the story that we should know? I see you edited your post...

#12 ·
#19 · (Edited)
So I think I have found the deal of the century...But... [/url].
1) Ask to see the bike, if he is in one category of scammers, it wont be available for inspection, a whole variety of good excuses why, just went in the military, moved because of job, etc., he will want to use something that he says is Ebay Escrow services through Western Union bla, bla. Run fast and flag the ad, this is typically a scammer from Africa.

2) If you can see it in person, do so and get the VIN and see if the police will run it for you--but even if that is clear, it could have liens on the title thus see if you can get the State bureau that handles license plate issuance to run the VIN.

3) Run a VIN check for $3.50 at Check that VIN! Used car title history search from CARCO Group and NMVTIS as this should discover salvage and problem titles but will not disclose liens or stolen vehicles.

3) In many states, if a vehicle is 6 or more years old, you can file an application to get the title, generally a simple procedure.

4) Run his phone number in Google and you will see several craigslist ads pop-up, one of his previous ads for the same bike had been "flagged" --never a good sign. I tried calling his phone number and got an automated message that the "subscriber is unable to receive calls at this time." Maybe he just didn't pay his cell bill..

5) Don't loose sight of what the Post Office warns, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Thus endeth the lesson. :)

#20 ·
I know how hard it is to find that first bike, and it's very easy to become fixated on one particular bike....no matter what that inner voice is telling you or what others are telling you (stay away)

But I would keep looking also. Try to get this bike out of your mind.

There are other bikes out there, and if you don't have the funds to get the right bike (with proper title, etc) then perhaps now is not the right time for you to be getting a bike.

Patience grasshoppah...you are still young.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.