Sport Bikes banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
2006 SV650

This bikes been for sale for a few months, you could get it for 2,500 no problem.
It's up the road a ways from you but figured I'd throw it in as a suggestion.

Or if you want a track/race ready SV, I've got one listed in the classifieds

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
1) Ask to see the bike, if he is in one category of scammers, it wont be available for inspection, a whole variety of good excuses why, just went in the military, moved because of job, etc., he will want to use something that he says is Ebay Escrow services through Western Union bla, bla. Run fast and flag the ad, this is typically a scammer from Africa.

2) If you can see it in person, do so and get the VIN and see if the police will run it for you--but even if that is clear, it could have liens on the title thus see if you can get the State bureau that handles license plate issuance to run the VIN.

3) Run a VIN check for $3.50 at Check that VIN! Used car title history search from CARCO Group and NMVTIS as this should discover salvage and problem titles but will not disclose liens or stolen vehicles.

3) In many states, if a vehicle is 6 or more years old, you can file an application to get the title, generally a simple procedure.

4) Run his phone number in Google and you will see several craigslist ads pop-up, one of his previous ads for the same bike had been "flagged" --never a good sign. I tried calling his phone number and got an automated message that the "subscriber is unable to receive calls at this time." Maybe he just didn't pay his cell bill..

5) Don't loose sight of what the Post Office warns, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Thus endeth the lesson. :)
+1 - all good advice here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I know how hard it is to find that first bike, and it's very easy to become fixated on one particular bike....no matter what that inner voice is telling you or what others are telling you (stay away)

But I would keep looking also. Try to get this bike out of your mind.

There are other bikes out there, and if you don't have the funds to get the right bike (with proper title, etc) then perhaps now is not the right time for you to be getting a bike.

Patience grasshoppah...you are still young.
lol thanks for the advice sansei. Looks like patience is going to be key here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
1) Ask to see the bike, if he is in one category of scammers, it wont be available for inspection, a whole variety of good excuses why, just went in the military, moved because of job, etc., he will want to use something that he says is Ebay Escrow services through Western Union bla, bla. Run fast and flag the ad, this is typically a scammer from Africa.

2) If you can see it in person, do so and get the VIN and see if the police will run it for you--but even if that is clear, it could have liens on the title thus see if you can get the State bureau that handles license plate issuance to run the VIN.

3) Run a VIN check for $3.50 at Check that VIN! Used car title history search from CARCO Group and NMVTIS as this should discover salvage and problem titles but will not disclose liens or stolen vehicles.

3) In many states, if a vehicle is 6 or more years old, you can file an application to get the title, generally a simple procedure.

4) Run his phone number in Google and you will see several craigslist ads pop-up, one of his previous ads for the same bike had been "flagged" --never a good sign. I tried calling his phone number and got an automated message that the "subscriber is unable to receive calls at this time." Maybe he just didn't pay his cell bill..

5) Don't loose sight of what the Post Office warns, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Thus endeth the lesson. :)

You sir, are a god send. Thank you for taking the time to do that!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
2006 SV650

This bikes been for sale for a few months, you could get it for 2,500 no problem.
It's up the road a ways from you but figured I'd throw it in as a suggestion.

Or if you want a track/race ready SV, I've got one listed in the classifieds
The craigslist one is just out of my price range... :sad

Your bike is beautiful, but once again that is waaaaay out of range. GL with the sale.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would pass, you just never know if it's stolen and it's yellow

Like others have said it's his responsibility to have the tiltle in hand and the pearson buying the bike should not have to chase down the title.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I would pass, you just never know if it's stolen and it's yellow

Like others have said it's his responsibility to have the tiltle in hand and the pearson buying the bike should not have to chase down the title.
Yellow is a great color dear sir. :grump

21 - 30 of 30 Posts