Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ok, who farted?
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 gsxr 600 6,000 miles... about two weeks ago i was riding with my girlfriend and i was on a turn when the bike died, i pushed the button and it started right up. after that it died on me like two more times. i knew something was up and had been meaning to take a look at it. i went on vacation for about a week and it had not been started all that time, so as soon as i got home i crancked her up and let her warm up a bit and turned her off since it was raining. but today i wanted to go for a ride and it wont start! i checked the fuses and nothing is burned out.
it turns over, but it wont start. can it be the plugs? how long do plugs last on a bike? i only have 6,000 miles on it. where is the fuel pump on the 03's? any help would be great. thanks i need to ride
 

·
Check out BLUEKUSTOMS.COM
Joined
·
242 Posts
Your plugs should not be bad yet but it does not hurt to replace them there about $4 to $6 each. Your fuel pump should be right around were the swing arm and main frame come together, or under the tank. It will have a copper or gold looking cap on it or a black rubber case over it so it will be easy to stop. I would also check your fuel lines to make sure none are cut, off, or pinched. You can also check the main wiring for the bike chek the plugs on the wiring one could be burned up. Also 6,000 mile have you changed your oil at all sence you got the bike? they come with breaking oil and that should be taken out at about 600 miles.

Good luck man..
 

·
Florida Forum Moderator
Joined
·
3,598 Posts
oscarcolumbo said:
03 gsxr 600 6,000 miles... about two weeks ago i was riding with my girlfriend and i was on a turn when the bike died, i pushed the button and it started right up. after that it died on me like two more times. i knew something was up and had been meaning to take a look at it. i went on vacation for about a week and it had not been started all that time, so as soon as i got home i crancked her up and let her warm up a bit and turned her off since it was raining. but today i wanted to go for a ride and it wont start! i checked the fuses and nothing is burned out.
it turns over, but it wont start. can it be the plugs? how long do plugs last on a bike? i only have 6,000 miles on it. where is the fuel pump on the 03's? any help would be great. thanks i need to ride
Being that it's an '03, isn't it still under warranty? If so, just take it in and let the dealership fool with it. If not, just start from scratch trying to trace down this gremlin. Like it was said in the post above, check for spark and fuel.....I know that's pretty general, but that's what it takes.....go over the pump, lines, plugs, etc......and it wouldn't be a bad idea BEFORE you start this little project, to get a shop manual for your bike.

Good luck!

Gov
 

·
Check out BLUEKUSTOMS.COM
Joined
·
242 Posts
Thanks for the above post i was not sure right were the fuel pump was on the 03.

Just remmeber man you need three things for a motor to run.

1. FUEL
2. FIRE
3. AIR

If you do not have one of these it will not run.
 

·
ok, who farted?
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
danyzfr6 said:
Your plugs should not be bad yet but it does not hurt to replace them there about $4 to $6 each. Your fuel pump should be right around were the swing arm and main frame come together, or under the tank. It will have a copper or gold looking cap on it or a black rubber case over it so it will be easy to stop. I would also check your fuel lines to make sure none are cut, off, or pinched. You can also check the main wiring for the bike chek the plugs on the wiring one could be burned up. Also 6,000 mile have you changed your oil at all sence you got the bike? they come with breaking oil and that should be taken out at about 600 miles.

Good luck man..
i change the oil every 2000 miles, but i havent checked the plugs yet. im gonna take a look. i have to remove the tank in order to get to the plugs correct? if i do have to remove the tank, how do i keep the gas from leaking out? thanks all for the help!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
...

The tank does not have to be removed but it makes things a whole lot easier. Also, I would look at the fuel pump or maybe even a wiring problem as opposed to the plugs, although it could be the plugs.
Does the fuel pump make noise when you turn the switch and the key to the on position? Suzukis have a very loud fuel pump, you will be able to hear it if it is working. If it is not working check the plug in for it. The plug is just under the fuel tank. If it is plugged in and not coming on, that could be your problem.
Hope this helps.
 

·
ok, who farted?
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i can hear the pump kick on when i turn the key, im gonna take the tank off and i will let you know more...thank you all for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
oscarcolumbo said:
03 gsxr 600 6,000 miles... about two weeks ago i was riding with my girlfriend and i was on a turn when the bike died, i pushed the button and it started right up. after that it died on me like two more times. i knew something was up and had been meaning to take a look at it. i went on vacation for about a week and it had not been started all that time, so as soon as i got home i crancked her up and let her warm up a bit and turned her off since it was raining. but today i wanted to go for a ride and it wont start! i checked the fuses and nothing is burned out.
it turns over, but it wont start. can it be the plugs? how long do plugs last on a bike? i only have 6,000 miles on it. where is the fuel pump on the 03's? any help would be great. thanks i need to ride
For one are there any FI codes that come up? could be a faulty tip over sensor. If the plugs were fouled it probably would still start up, just run really horrible. Also even if there aren't any FI codes you could still have a faulty sensor. Reason being is that codes only show up if there is a short or an open, not one that is operating incorrectly. Also if you want to take your tank off you can because it has a fuel pump and it doesn't pump unless your key is on. You should have a prop stay though to prop up your tank. Try disconnecting your battery to reset everything. Have you had any work done to your bike recently besides the pipe.
 

·
ok, who farted?
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so even if the plugs are bad, the bike will start up? cause its not starting, i proped the tank up and removed the air filter box to get to the plugs, so i got the bike apart. i just can't remove the plugs because i need a plug socket that i don't have, but if the bike would start even if the plugs are bad, then thats not the problem...right? i don't get any FI codes...i don't think...how would they look like?
 

·
I say F#%k alot
Joined
·
47 Posts
Ride1Rob said:
Sounds to me w/ your limited mechanical experience that you need to take your bike to the shop. Or bring down here to Sensei.
Yeah take it to your shop and trade it in on a Yamaha!!!!
Just kidding man...... Yeah take it back and have it fixed under warranty
 

·
ok, who farted?
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
man, i know what im doing...i just need guidence. but just in case if you hear an explosion, you'll know what happened.. :lol ..DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH A MECHANIC WILL CHARGE ME AT THE SHOP....its not under warranty, so they'll pretty much rape me...by the way, does anyone know what the FI CODE for an 03 gixxer 600 is..the code is F1...THANKS :dblthumb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
oscarcolumbo said:
man, i know what im doing...i just need guidence. but just in case if you hear an explosion, you'll know what happened.. :lol ..DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH A MECHANIC WILL CHARGE ME AT THE SHOP....its not under warranty, so they'll pretty much rape me...by the way, does anyone know what the FI CODE for an 03 gixxer 600 is..the code is F1...THANKS :dblthumb
F1 is not a code. It actually says Fi. There are some things that you have to do in order to see the code your bike is throwing out. You should have brought me the bike so I could find out what was wrong with it, but you still keep posting about the problems. I offered tools and a free fix. I do not understand why I have not heard from you. Anyway, here is the code list...
C14 - THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
C15 - ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR
C21 - INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR
C22 - ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE SENSOR
C23 - TIPOVER SENSOR
C24 - IGNITION SIGNAL #1
C25 - IGNITION SIGNAL #2
C26 - IGNITION SIGNAL #3
C27 - IGNITION SIGNAL #4
C28 - SECONDARY THROTTLE VALVE ACTUATOR
C29 - SECONDARY THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
C30 - SECONDARY THROTTLE CONTROL UNIT
C31 - GEAR POSITION SENSOR
C32 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #1
C33 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #2
C34 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #3
C35 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #4
C41 - FUEL PUMP CONTROL SYSTEM
C42 - IGNITION SWITCH SIGNAL
C46 - EXHAUST CONTROL VALVE ACTUATOR (1000 ONLY
 

·
ok, who farted?
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay okay totalstrange, i have the tank taken out and all, but i can put it in the back of the truck and bring over...if its still cool with you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
I bypassed the tipover sensor on my 750. easy to do. slip-on should have nothing to do with the bike not starting. Make sure you don't have any crimped fuel lines. Is the fuel petcock in the on position?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top