Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 gsxr 600 6,000 miles... about two weeks ago i was riding with my girlfriend and i was on a turn when the bike died, i pushed the button and it started right up. after that it died on me like two more times. i knew something was up and had been meaning to take a look at it. i went on vacation for about a week and it had not been started all that time, so as soon as i got home i crancked her up and let her warm up a bit and turned her off since it was raining. but today i wanted to go for a ride and it wont start! i checked the fuses and nothing is burned out.
it turns over, but it wont start. can it be the plugs? how long do plugs last on a bike? i only have 6,000 miles on it. where is the fuel pump on the 03's? any help would be great. thanks :( i need to ride

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Check to make sure you are getting spark from your ignition coils. If you have a volt meter, check to see if there is power going in and out of your coils. You could also pull a spark plug out, leave it connected to the ignition wires, but ground it to your crankcase ( to keep from frying your ecm ) see if it sparks when you crank it. If so, check to make sure your injectors are firing. It could be something as simple as a bad fuel injector solenoid, which are easliy replaced. Another easy check is to listen for your fuel pump pressurize. It should sound like a whining coming from somewhere inside, or near the tank. Low fuel pressure would definately create a crank but no start condition.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Also check your fuel filter, it may have becomed plugged up if you got some crappy gas.

Did the bike die all at once or did it kinda sputter out?

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bike died all at once three times in like a three week span, and now it wont start. im will check the filter, i have a meter being that im an electrician, but not a mechanic. so heres my next question...where are the coils at. sorry if its a stupid question.
thank you for your help

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
There are two different styles of ignition coils. Most bikes use a "coil pack" which will be a cluster of 2-4 ignition coils. Each coil will supply power to either 1 or 2 spark plugs. On my cbr 900 they looked like about as big as a rolled up wad of $100 bills like you see in the movies. They were attatched near the steering head on the frame. Some newer bikes use a coil/plug combination. The coil will be right on top of the sparkplug holes, eliminating the needs for thick guage plug wires. Obviously there will be as many coils as spark plugs you have on the motorcycle. If you can't find them, just find your spark plug, and trace that thick wire back to the coil.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Not unless you accidently cut or disconnected an electrical connection or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts