Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im shopping for my first bike, and have been reading a lot of horror stories about bike theft. i want to protect my investment as best as i can. my bike will be garage kept, but at some point, i know ill have to park it somewhere. i was wondering if anyone has used, or considered using "lo-jack" for their bike, and is it do-able. i looked at their website, and didnt see anything motorcycle related. has anyone tried it or know of it working? it seems like it would be a good idea, if it can be done, considering the ease of stealing a bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stealing a bike is as easy as you make it trust me I know.If you park it out in the never land of the parking lot its gone. If you put a ignition lock on and a wheel lock on it makes it not worth it. The best way to take a bike from a parking lot is to use a box truck.See you just ramp it on and go worry about the rest later. I you lock your wheels then you have to pick it up and stealing it is not so easy. If you put a alarm on it and park it close as you can you should have no problems. So good luck with it anyways and just don't make it easy and ti will be just that uneasy.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Lo-Jack in theory is a great idea...but for cars more so than bikes. cars are stolen for a variety of reasons. some people just want to joy ride with them, some want them for parts and so on. so therefor the chances of getting your car back in one piece because of lojack is a lot higher. unfortunately, most people who steal bikes purely want them for their parts. so they get stripped ultra quick. the point is that if they steal your bike at 3am and you wake up 5 hours later at 8am for work and realize that your bike is gone, im guessing that it will be in a bunch of peices by the time lo-jack gets involved. by that same token, if you realize immediately that it was stolen, lo-jack is would probably prove to be a great investment...but the chances of that are much lower that for a car...

·
Registered
474 Posts
G L said:
thats a cool idea, but who can carry that thing around? im talking about satellite tracking for stolen bikes. if they can do it for cars, they must be able to do it for bikes.
It's really for your home, you bolt it to the ground.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm wondering if there are any pager type of alarms for bikes. I know there is for cars. That would be a good device to use. I'd sleep next to a .45 and have the pager wake me up if somone messed with the bike.

·
Registered
681 Posts
F' all that.....full coverage insurance is your best bet. It is ONLY machinery you know, it CAN be replaced. Why so many get soooooooo emotionally attached is beyond me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
cruzinZ said:
I'm wondering if there are any pager type of alarms for bikes. I know there is for cars. That would be a good device to use. I'd sleep next to a .45 and have the pager wake me up if somone messed with the bike.
I have a pager alarm for my truck and at one point I got so that I would ignore it. Just like sirens on the alarms, even when you hear them you just ignore it because it's gone off for no reason so many times before. Now I will glance outside but if I don't see anything I go on about my business.

·
Registered
247 Posts
taziscool said:
F' all that.....full coverage insurance is your best bet. It is ONLY machinery you know, it CAN be replaced. Why so many get soooooooo emotionally attached is beyond me.
Agreed...but wouldn't it be nice to have a pager sort of alarm and catch the son of a bitch in the act? Ahhhh...sweet satisfaction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts