Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm pretty much getting a job and saving up some money so I can at least make payments on one. I plan on getting a new bike I've been looking at the new FZ-07 such a badass looking bike. Love the hooligan naked look to it. It's MSRP is around $6,999. It is a 689cc and I was wondering if insurance would be high on bike? I'm almost 19 years old. But this bike seriously is my dream bike. I've been looking at reviews on youtube and let's just say I'm in love. It's not gonna be my main use of transportation I will just take it out on a good day around with my friends who have bikes. This will be my first bike.

So can anyone give me a idea what I would be paying a month for this bike? With insurance and if I make payments on it?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
if it is your dream bike, get it when you have less chance of dropping it and murdering the poor thing.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I think it will be pretty much on par with a Ninja 650 or SV650. Both aren't terrible starter bikes, but not really the best.

For your first bike you should get something you can buy outright, not make payments. The reason being that you'll probably drop it at some point, or maybe even have an off. Then you'll have to pay for repairs on top of your payment. Plus you will need full coverage on your insurance which will be very expensive at your age.

This bike just came out, it won't be going anywhere. Start out on something cheap where you can learn and make your mistakes inexpensively. You'll thank yourself later.

I bought a barely used Ninja 650R as my second bike after a few months on a cruiser. The day I brought it back from the dealer I dropped it in my parking lot while backing it into my spot. Worst feeling ever, would have been worse if it was a brand new $7000 bike.

Find a cheap but decent used bike to learn on, you can get liability insurance so it won't cost much, and it might need a little work or maintenance so you can learn some wrenching skills. After a year or two, go get your Yamaha.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it will be pretty much on par with a Ninja 650 or SV650. Both aren't terrible starter bikes, but not really the best.

For your first bike you should get something you can buy outright, not make payments. The reason being that you'll probably drop it at some point, or maybe even have an off. Then you'll have to pay for repairs on top of your payment. Plus you will need full coverage on your insurance which will be very expensive at your age.

This bike just came out, it won't be going anywhere. Start out on something cheap where you can learn and make your mistakes inexpensively. You'll thank yourself later.

I bought a barely used Ninja 650R as my second bike after a few months on a cruiser. The day I brought it back from the dealer I dropped it in my parking lot while backing it into my spot. Worst feeling ever, would have been worse if it was a brand new $7000 bike.

Find a cheap but decent used bike to learn on, you can get liability insurance so it won't cost much, and it might need a little work or maintenance so you can learn some wrenching skills. After a year or two, go get your Yamaha.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I've also been looking at the 2014 honda cb500f it's MSRP is $5700 and I think it's a 500cc I've also found a 2013 ninja 300 on craiglist that is $2546 and owner claims it's been taken care of and runs great.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Like no coast said, buy used. More than likely you'll drop it. Used 250s go for 2k all day. Insurance on a new fz07 would be at least 1000 a year, probably more. Plan on spending 500 on gear, and don't forget money for tires, oil, chain, sprockets, ect.

Also, as a new rider you probably don't know what types of riding you'll enjoy the most. After a year on a 250 you might decide you want a cruiser, or a race replica, or a dual sport. If msrp on the bike is 7, after taxes tags and fees it'll probably be close to 8 out the door especially on a brand new model. Payments would be around 200 a month and insurance would be double what itd be for an older 250

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like no coast said, buy used. More than likely you'll drop it. Used 250s go for 2k all day. Insurance on a new fz07 would be at least 1000 a year, probably more. Plan on spending 500 on gear, and don't forget money for tires, oil, chain, sprockets, ect.

Also, as a new rider you probably don't know what types of riding you'll enjoy the most. After a year on a 250 you might decide you want a cruiser, or a race replica, or a dual sport. If msrp on the bike is 7, after taxes tags and fees it'll probably be close to 8 out the door especially on a brand new model. Payments would be around 200 a month and insurance would be double what itd be for an older 250
think i will go with the 2013 ninja 300 I saw on craigslist. It's was only $2549.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is what that bike looked like 28 years ago...

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=849&pictureid=2793

I say if you want the FZ off the line, then go for it. Just be sure you get yourself a course before you do. I've been riding a bike for quite a long time, with no license, around here, you can do that. Then I took a motorcycle safety course....it was pretty sweet. Not only did it give me some defensive driving skills i never had, it lowered my insurance considerably. When you tell your insurance company you've taken a motorcycle training course, they get all wet in the pants and will give you full coverage for what it costs for liability.

In any case, you really can't go wrong with the FZ man...good luck!

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
for a thousand more you can get the FZ-09. The 07 will be boring and weak after a while and leave you wanting more. It's best to not start too small.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts