Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I never thought of this till today when people kept asking me ..... at what temp does the fan kick on??
And does anybody know a number comparison to the bar style temp guage we have?? I know when you first turn the bike on only the very bottom bar is lit, then when you 1st bar on the tack stops flashing you usually get a second bar on the temp guage. According to the manual this should be around 140*F (page 3-3 owners manual).
But what temp are you at when you hit 3, 4, 5 bars on the temp guage??

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I'm not sure, but the fan kicks on anything above 3 bars on my bike if I remember correctly. When it gets back down to 3 bars, it turns off. Would the "start" of the 4th bar, not be 210*F?

·
Registered
169 Posts
kimbo59 said:
On at 4 bars off again at 3
On at 4 - Correct
Off at 3 - Wrong

My fan usually works(for 2/3 minutes) when the temp comes back from the 4th level to the third.

You can see the temperature of the air entrance... simply press Reset for 4 seconds when in ODO our in Tach mode.

The clock will change from Time to Temperature. Celsius in Portugal.

To change back, repeat the procedure.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I've only had the fan kick on once that I recall, and that was around 4 bars.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mine kicks on quite a bit down here in Alabama. As everyone has said, it starts at 4 bars. Mine stays on for a little while even when it hits back to 3.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Mine also kicks in at 4 bars and shuts at 3 bars when the air intake temp is below 90 F. It stays on at 3 bars a lot longer if the air intake temp is higher.
I haven't looked at the cooling wiring schematic, but I suspect that the fan might also have an air intake temperature sensor.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok. let me throw this out there. Air Intake Temperature, which is the numerical readout where the clock is, Has VERY little to do with Engine Temperature, which is the bar-graph display next to the fuel. The fan works off of engine temp, not air intake. The air intake temp is for the fuel injection to properly meter out the fuel ratio. The fan operates off of a temperature sensor somewhere in the cooling system. The ONLY way the two are connected is that they are both input parameters to the fuel injection control unit. Air intake does not tr***** the cooling fan.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
On that note.......

Does anyone let the fan run on the bike when they shut it down? I have a habit of letting the fan run when I get home, take gear off time. It gets up to 5+ bars when its sitting idle, does anyone think this is bad to let the radiator fan run for a few minutes after shudown?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Letting the bike sit with just the fan on shouldn't do any good or bad. A little batterie drain. Without the water pump operating no water is circulating, so your just cooling the water in the radiator.

·
Registered
676 Posts
timd99 said:
On that note.......

Does anyone let the fan run on the bike when they shut it down? I have a habit of letting the fan run when I get home, take gear off time. It gets up to 5+ bars when its sitting idle, does anyone think this is bad to let the radiator fan run for a few minutes after shudown?
It does absolutely nothing to help your motor cool down. As stated above, when the motor is not running, neither is the waterpump. If anything, you're taking some life out of your battery/charging system (minimal).

Shut it off, walk away.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Here's what I do:

I installed a switch at the fan relay so i can turn it on at will. When I know im 1-3 min. away from my destination i turn it on and in the time it takes me to arrive the bike is cold like ice and i just turn it off. It's usually at 2 bars when i turn it off and it never rises like it used to do before.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
??? So what if it's hot when you shut it off? Temp won't rise anymore than when it's running after shut-off, would it?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
DOUGHERTY said:
Ok. let me throw this out there. Air Intake Temperature, which is the numerical readout where the clock is, Has VERY little to do with Engine Temperature, which is the bar-graph display next to the fuel. The fan works off of engine temp, not air intake. The air intake temp is for the fuel injection to properly meter out the fuel ratio. The fan operates off of a temperature sensor somewhere in the cooling system. The ONLY way the two are connected is that they are both input parameters to the fuel injection control unit. Air intake does not tr***** the cooling fan.
Won't tr***** the fan on, but might delay triggering the fan off when the ambient temperature is high. I'm just guessing. And yes, you are right-- it is the temp sensor on the coolant lines that tr****** the fan on when the coolant reaches higher temperature.

·
Registered
62 Posts
??? So what if it's hot when you shut it off? Temp won't rise anymore than when it's running after shut-off, would it?
Actually yes, the temp does rise when you shut the engine off. Ever had an electric fan on your car kick on a few minutes after you have shut the engine off?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts