Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've finally begun actively searching for a new bike to replace my old Ninja 500 that was stolen a few months back. After putting 32,000 miles on the little Ninja, including multiple trips to the N GA and TN mountains, I'm ready to move up a bit. I definitely want another sport bike, in any case.

Bikes I'm considering are the Ducati 848 and the Triumph Daytona. Any opinions on these? Other bikes I should add to the mix?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If you go with the daytona, definitely consider the R. That's what I'd have got if had the extra cash/ went to the track

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If you're just looking at full on sportbikes, check out the Kawasaki 636. I've never tried one, but everyone seems to love them. Also check out a GSXR750

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If you want some reasonable suggestions you need to tell us more about where when and how you ride, what you expect the bike to do and not do.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
+1 @ need more riding style/preferences info. Based on the OP's choices...I'd go with a 675 (R is preferred). Because if you are indeed "half-fast", an 848 is going to need some healthy chassis/suspension work to keep you comfortably & decently quick.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in central Florida. Looking at weekend rides around Polk and Lake counties. Once or twice a year take a trip to N GA to ride Blood Mtn, WPG, the Chero, Warwoman, etc. Not looking for a commuter.

Not planning to do long trips, but I'd consider a sport tourer if I could find one that fit me (I'm vertically challenged). I wish Duc still made the ST3, or a modern equivalent.

Don't necessarily have to have a superbike, but definitely a sport bike.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If your dealer will allow test rides, try a daytona r and street triple r. The street r has more than adequate suspenders and binders for street riding. If I lived in florida I'd definitely want something more upright since corners are apparently few and far between

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, you're really going to run into a preference thing here. Definitely try and ride (if you haven't already) some other bikes to get a feel for the differences. FWIW, I went from a Ninja 500 to a Daytona (non R) and love that I did. I haven't ridden an "R" before, but coming from a 500 and occassionally riding an R6, the brakes and suspension already feel awesome to me.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The 848 is very nice machine. Loved mine for 3 summers before I upgraded to the 1199.

I swear under a 100 there very close in speed.

2nd on the 848 topped me out at 103 with the stock SP tires. The Q2's was right at 100.

1199 is right at 98mph at the top of second.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looked at a Daytona 675 today, but rain prevented a test ride. I'll go back next week for that, but looking over the bike and sitting on it, I was very impressed. So far, I don't really see the need for the R, and I'd rather have a red bike anyway.

Looking forward to riding one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Go sit on them both. Both are superbikes with pretty extreme riding positions. you'll need to see which one "hurts" less. Ducatis are awesome machines with awesome low end power...I sold mine a few months back and have been kicking myself ever since.

Keep in mind the maintenance cost on them though. If you're really handy with a wrench, then go for the 848 I say.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Be sure to get a service history on any used Ducs, a lot of people ride them until it's time for a timing belt change and valve adjustment then dump them. Unless you know how to do it yourself, Depending on where you live that service can get real expensive. So you'd have to add that service price into the buying price

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
280 Posts
I second that. It can get real expensive real quick. That's why this time, I went Aprilia. Very stable engine and some of the best value in the used market out there. I recently got a 2007 RSV 1000R and you can find used Factory versions for great deals. Very capable and beautiful bikes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts