Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of security lock or alarm do you use or would you recommend?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm currently just using a KryptoDisco disc lock on a front rotor, and the wheel lock for most of the time. If I'm leaving the bike at the local mall (small town), I add a cable lock thru the rear wheel/frame.

A friend just got one of the Cheetah alrams and he's pretty happy with it.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Patron_of_Wrath said:
I park my bike right next to where my 120 lb Rottweiller sleeps.

I think that probably works just as well as the S&W security system!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use the Xena XE-12 Classic Sport disc lock, With a 180 decibel alarm.
It gives me a piece of mind, considering I have 2 basset hounds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I live in a bad area for motorcycle (and car and bicycle and anything that isn't locked down) theft so I use a couple of Kryptonite NY motorcycle chain locks (around a concrete pillar), a disk lock and cover the bike. I had to buy an alarm for it because I park in a common underground parkade and couldn't get theft insurance without one!
THIEVES.... :mg INSURANCE COMAPNIES :mg

This was the cheapest place I found for the locks: http://www.seasonaloutfitters.com/

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Chain it to something

As somebody who had a bike stolen (my 92 Katana 750 back in 96) I definitely suggest chaining the bike to something solid. My kat had a disc lock, and a cover locked over it, but there wasn't anything nearby that I could chain it to. Somebody came by during the day and just took the whole thing away. Very weird feeling to come home from work and see an empty spot where your cycle should be. At least I got to use my insurance that I was being charged over $2000 a year for at the time.

Insurance compaies really do suck.

JimE

·
Registered
130 Posts
Disc lock and fork key lock plus a cover is all I have for now.
I would agree with JimE that chaining it to something solid is better than just parking it out in the open. I wish it wasn't a ticket to park on (my personal favorite) the sidewalk in front of most stores since that makes them way harder to steal than from the 4th row parked in between SUV's and pickup's and so few retailers have motorcycle spaces up front.

·
Registered
68 Posts
charlieoneseven said:
Disc lock and fork key lock plus a cover is all I have for now.
I would agree with JimE that chaining it to something solid is better than just parking it out in the open. I wish it wasn't a ticket to park on (my personal favorite) the sidewalk in front of most stores since that makes them way harder to steal than from the 4th row parked in between SUV's and pickup's and so few retailers have motorcycle spaces up front.
I always park on the striped yellow spaces up front, next to the handicap, no ticket so far(knock on wood :) )...with the Xena Lock.....usually next to the big light pole....

·
Registered
88 Posts
1. bikelock alarm system (recommended by yamaha but way overpriced)
2. Kryptonite lock + chain
3. Kryptonite disclock

and like other people already mentionned. Park it somewhere where you can keep an eye on it. If you can't keep an eye on it make sure you place it somewhere where somebody else can. Alarm alone will not scare them but if it goes off in a crowded environment they will definately be not so happy...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Next to my house I have a sidewalk that runs between my house and my neighbors house. I lock my bike here using a Kryptonite Stronghold to anchor my Master Street Cuffs to the concrete. I also cover the bike. This spot also happens to be under my bedroom window. I suppose there are no guarentees, but this feels pretty good to me. If you live somewhere you can't chain the bike to an object, lookup the Stronghold. The kit includes concrete drill bits and the allen wrenches to secure the bolts. I think if someone had a sledge hammer and about 10 minutes they could remove this thing from the ground. There is no slack in my Street Cuffs and it is a very awkward place to try to pry. I'm sure with the right cutting tool they could bust my cuffs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts