Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I let go of the bars, the bike pulls a bit to the right. actually a lot. I have to scoot over to the left part of the seat to keep it staright.

i'm sure my tire is lined up because I used the string method against the front tire.

what else can cause this?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Tire wear can cause this too. Bike tires in the US tend to wear out more on the left side of the tread because we drive on the right and therefore cover more distance every time we turn left in a corner vs turning right when we take the same corner going the other way. (the extra distance is pi*lane width) If the lane is 11 feet wide (typical) we go an extra 34.55 feet in every left turn.

·
Registered
605 Posts
stoinkythepig said:
Tire wear can cause this too. Bike tires in the US tend to wear out more on the left side of the tread because we drive on the right and therefore cover more distance every time we turn left in a corner vs turning right when we take the same corner going the other way. (the extra distance is pi*lane width) If the lane is 11 feet wide (typical) we go an extra 34.55 feet in every left turn.
wow...you broke it down

·
Registered
456 Posts
bad forks, uneven fork tubes in the triple clamps, rear tire not aligned, under inflation,caliber hanging up

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just check that the tires a alined before tearing anything down or taking the bike to a shop. a common mistake after a chain adjustment.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
bad steering head bearings, cable or something too tight or hung up, heavy stock can :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
mgranzow said:
the bike pulls a bit to the right.
Turn bars a bit to the left. :flipa

LOL...sorry, I had to. It's 0450 in the a.m, and I don't get off work for another 2 hours. I'm bored and I wanna go home. :alky

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this only started after I put the new tires on. tire wear = not the problem.

rear tire alignment = not it either.

i'm thinking something is wrong with the fork setup. they're aligned properly in the trees, but they were a bit uneven when I had the tire off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This may sound daft but make sure they have put all the spacers back in the wheel properly A dealer changed the rear wheel on my suzuki and missed a spacer and the bike would wheel OK but riding it was a bit of a suprise It dug a big gouge out of the brake pad too....

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jim, the front forks weren't extended equally when the tire was off

ex,
i may have put the spacers in wrong when I first put the rear tire on, but i have them correct now (and ate a bearing in the process) at least i think they're correct.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Congrats on finding your problem. The chain would not have been properly aligned in this case, something to keep in mind.

Were the tubes aligned at the top? It's hard for me to visualize the situation you describe but -- unless they are really bent -- it's probably not indicative of a problem. How much was the difference? Have the forks ever been re-worked?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
up top, the fork tubes are in the trees properly. it just looked one of the forks didn't extend all the way, but you could only see it with the tire off. I think the right one was the one that looked more extended.

don't know how else to describe it. I just pushed on the tube that was lower once I had the wheel in place while putting the axle in and got it all ligned up with some muscle.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know this is a old thread, but i have that same problem too. I tried taking a belt sander to the right side of my tire (sitting on the bike) and it still leans over to the left. I've alogned my freakin rear tire far left, right, and took it off and had someone run behind me to hold the bike up while i ride. It still leans left. The bike has never been wrecked. You say it was the front forks? Elaborate 4 me man!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts