Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i going through with this gsxr1k i've been drooling on. I just want to see what you guys think a decent price will be.

it is a red/silver/black 02 1000. 10000 miles. here's the info:
new tires
d&d gold x ring chain
-1 front sprocket
micron serpent full system
power commander 2 with custom map
red stainless steel brake lines
sweet tail light (will get pics)
seat cowl included
hyperpro steering damper *needs $80 rebuild
racetech fork springs, racetech rear shock
k&n and a few more odds and ends (grips, heel gards, footpegs, undertail, etc)
it puts 160 to the wheel, have dyno graph to prove it.

never been down, very few scratches, owner is a good friend, and I know its been taken care of. he runs amsoil synthetic in it, and changes it every 2000 miles. yes he's done wheelies on it, but never more than 15 - 20 seconds long, so i don't think i need to worry about the motor being starved too much for oil.

He's asking $8000 for me as a friend. i don't think thats too bad of a price, but i'd like to get the damper rebuilt and have no issues to deal with once I take the bike.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brentsR6 said:
kind of high mileage for that year, you can find lower mileage bikes than that for a better price, id say 8 grand for that bike is too high.
but not with those or as much in mods, and not with the perfect service history I know it has.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
If you know the bike wasn't abused for those miles, 10k is nothing on a modern sportbike. I would say that price sounds pretty decent, esp. if it's putting down that much power.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You don't pay for mods. Find out the value of an 02 gixxer and try to get a price around that.

If he wants to screw you by having you pay for mods then that friend isn't give you a deal.

·
Registered
681 Posts
IllKneeGrow said:
You don't pay for mods. Find out the value of an 02 gixxer and try to get a price around that.

If he wants to screw you by having you pay for mods then that friend isn't give you a deal.
Amen........and I thought you said you weren't ready for it? Don't go pulling a Shadownynja on us....

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Certainly nothing over 6700.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
taziscool said:
Amen........and I thought you said you weren't ready for it? Don't go pulling a Shadownynja on us....
I made a mistake. they happen. It wasn't my first, it wont be my last. I'm using that incident as a learning experience, and i'm lucky it happened on a cheap bike. everyday I when I go out I try to first, leave with the idea in my head that I could die on this ride, and that I need to watch out while i'm out here, watch what I do, and what other do. also, I often try to think about things I know I need to improve on while i'm riding. besides, I don't really enjoy cranking on it on the street anyway.. it can get too dangerous, way too quickly.

i like this bike because of the down low grunt, the sound, looks, etc. not to be a squid on a gix 1k.

i plan on getting an r6 or some other good 600 for a track bike within the next year or two.

back to the price, i didn't think 8000 was too much for this bike. i dunno what this guy will say, since he's a friend I don't want to go low balling him, and i'm hoping he is being as straight forward with his asking price as I would be to him. he was offered 8k by a dealer (lake country) on trade for an 04 1k.

·
Registered
304 Posts
mgranzow said:
but not with those or as much in mods, and not with the perfect service history I know it has.
You're rationalizing. Don't pay NEARLY the cost of the mods. $8k is too high. Dealer retail on that bike is around $7600. I'd offer $7k.

·
Registered
681 Posts
mgranzow said:
back to the price, i didn't think 8000 was too much for this bike. i dunno what this guy will say, since he's a friend I don't want to go low balling him, and i'm hoping he is being as straight forward with his asking price as I would be to him. he was offered 8k by a dealer (lake country) on trade for an 04 1k.
well, I highly doubt THAT since retail is only 7600. No way are they gonna sell it for more if they gave 8k....trade in is 5300. I'd wouldn't pay more than 6400 but that's just me.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Alert. Your friend is a con artist.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Maybe your friend just doesn't know the correct value of the bike and you gotta let him know. I have never heard of a dealer offering someone a figure that high for a used bike.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
shit you can get mine for 7K and it's been autographed by Mladin.....

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
i agree that the price is a little high, heck, if you wait around till the end of the summer, you can get a new 2004 gixxer 1000 for $9200

·
Registered
40 Posts
i agree bro thats far to much shoot you can get the same year bone stock with low miles for around 5k cash and do the upgardes your self honestly thats no friend at all a friend would give that bike to you for about 6k to 6500
why dont you just get a gsxr750 02 03 and mod it your self and do upgrades and you will be able to smoke most and almost all 1000 or 1200 good luck with your choice

ok sorry wanted to add one more thing also even if the bike was worth 7500 you have to think about the econmy its chitty now and no one is gonna give him 8k for its not gonna happen good luck
also does he have reciepts for the work? how you know it was done right??

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
i agree bro thats far to much shoot you can get the same year bone stock with low miles for around 5k cash and do the upgardes your self honestly thats no friend at all a friend would give that bike to you for about 6k to 6500
why dont you just get a gsxr750 02 03 and mod it your self and do upgrades and you will be able to smoke most and almost all 1000 or 1200 good luck with your choice

ok sorry wanted to add one more thing also even if the bike was worth 7500 you have to think about the econmy its chitty now and no one is gonna give him 8k for its not gonna happen good luck
also does he have reciepts for the work? how you know it was done right??
:eek:nfloor:eek:nfloor

It wasn't that great of a deal in 2004, its definitely a friggin rip off in late 2009!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts