Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Italians won't let me mount a camera on my tank while doing a track day at ANY of the tracks I've been to. I haven't tried any tracks in Spain or Germany yet, but they are on my list :)

Is this a common rule? I would LOVE to get some 1st person video of my track days so I can study the track a little bit in my off time. Are there any reasonably expensive good quality tiny camera's that I could mount somewhere (ala MotoGP style in the front)? I would like to have it on the tank though so I could watch my tach too. Are tracks in the states like this, don't allow you to have tank mounted cameras? Just wondering.

Thanks,
Jason

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
Flatout said:
take a look at helmetcamera.com that should work for you, you can hide it :)
yep cam in trunk and bullet came under the nose peice

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
I used to mount a full camcorder on the tank of my F3 at NESBA Midwest events. I used the LP camera mount... suctioned cupped to my tank, and safety strapped on.

Not only did NESBA not have a problem with it, one of the CRs reviewed the video with me between sessions!

Useful learning tool - and helps get you through the winter.

This arangement gets too much in the way for the Aprilia though - shame.

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
team promotion dosent allow it because one fell off the bike and the owner Glen ran over it. but of course they will tape a 15min seesion for $50, which is a great learning tool to see yourself in action.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I run a bullet camera from Helmetcamera.com mounted to the tail section, my helmet, or my tank and a sony camera mounted in the fairing.

Work very well. I am still trying to perfect the results.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
I too have the mini camera from Helmetcamera and it's awesome. When I bought it about a year ago they had 2 different resolutions available for picture quality. The difference in price for the bettter one was worth the DVD quality image you get. I also use a Sony Camcorder to record with, but becareful in the Camcorder you get. Not all Camcorders have the ability, like most Sony's, to accept a signal from an outside source. Also it's better if the Camcorder is digital for the best picture. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
and in addition to what Mike said, they also have a remote switch that goes into the LANC plug that allows you to turn the camera on and off and start/stop recording. That is a great thing to have

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
Thanks Chris, I should have remembered to mention that since I have the remote switch as well. Being able to have the Camcorder buried in the tail section and then run a button up to the handlebars is very convenient. This way you can remotely turn the recording on and off while riding and look at the light on the switch to see if it's recording or not. Another nice thing is you can turn the Camcorder on and off with this same button so you don't burn up all your battery time when not needed.

There is a battery for self powering the mini camera as well or you can hard wire it to your bikes battery if so desired. They also offer 5 different lenses for different fields of view, included with the camera is the one that most people end up using. The indestructable housing which protects the camera is also a big plus and will help to save the mini camera in the event of an incident. I would suggest getting an extra protective lens that covers the housing as well, it's cheap enough that you should just get an extra. The camera is waterproof as well so you don't have to worry if it starts raining. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
and let me add one more thing. Make usre you use the velcro AND something else, like tape of zip ties. The g forces and/or something like your leg hitting it WILL knock it off. I broke my last helmet cam by riding several laps around the track with it banging into my swingarm hanging from the cord. Oh well, it was an excuse to get the HD version.

·
Registered
200 Posts
R6JUNKIE said:
team promotion dosent allow it because one fell off the bike and the owner Glen ran over it. but of course they will tape a 15min seesion for $50, which is a great learning tool to see yourself in action.
Has that been recently?? I rode with them last year at VIR in the Fall and I was gonna mount my cam but didn't. From what I know then it was ok. Even if I did mount a cam, I would have at least 2 failsafes to keep it from falling onto the track or in my controls in anyway.

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
I had asked glen in sept at nelson ledges if I could mount it and he said absoutely not then he told me the story. I'm thinking of geting a bulliet cam and mounting it under the nose and puting the camera in the tank.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
I set up my video system on my bike for my last race at Daytona a week ago and had an unfortunate mistake happen. I mounted the mini-cam solidly and decided to try putting the camcorder in the nose of the bodywork instead of the tail. Apparently I bumped the switch on my camcorder while wrapping it up in foam padding and switched it from remote recording to recording thru the camcorders lens, which was buried in foam padding. I ended up getting some great audio of my race in the Unlimited GP class, but sadly no video at all. Oh well, since I've never had that happen before, I guess that's one to chalk up as a learning experience!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts