Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, my bike has been making clicking sound when I'm decelarating. Anybody ever had this happen on their bike? If so, what is it and can I take care of this myself ?

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
describe the problem better.

Happens in every gear? Only when using brakes? Coming from exhaust or more from the engine?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2001FZ1 said:
describe the problem better.

Happens in every gear? Only when using brakes? Coming from exhaust or more from the engine?
It happens when I'm hard on the throttle and then I let go to decelerate. It's in every gear and no braking. I hear the sound from the front..

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If the frequency of the click gets lower as the bike speed slows, check your chain. Loose chain and a few stiff links will make a clicking sound as the stiff parts go around the front sprocket. Otherwise, more info please.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RayOSV said:
If the frequency of the click gets lower as the bike speed slows, check your chain. Loose chain and a few stiff links will make a clicking sound as the stiff parts go around the front sprocket. Otherwise, more info please.
I checked my chain and it looks like it's loose and has few stiff links. Thanks for the help. I will go ahead and replace my chain this week.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Not trying to talk you out of replacing the chain, but if it is really loose (check it in several places as you rotate the rear wheel), it may be that it will quiet down simply by adjusting it properly. If some links are really stiff or the chain slack varies widely as you rotate the rear wheel, it probably is time for a new chain. Otherwise an adjustment and good cleaning/lubrication may be all that's needed. How many miles on the chain and how long since it was adjusted/cleaned/lubed?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
RayOSV said:
Not trying to talk you out of replacing the chain, but if it is really loose (check it in several places as you rotate the rear wheel), it may be that it will quiet down simply by adjusting it properly. If some links are really stiff or the chain slack varies widely as you rotate the rear wheel, it probably is time for a new chain. Otherwise an adjustment and good cleaning/lubrication may be all that's needed. How many miles on the chain and how long since it was adjusted/cleaned/lubed?
Well I bought the bike used and I've put about 7,000 miles on it (total miles about 15,000 miles), so replacing the chain seems like a good idea. Do I also have to replace the sprockets since I'm replacing the chain?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
At 15,000 miles the chain may need to be replaced especially if not well maintained. Most would recommend replacing the sprockets at the same time. If you don't, and the old sprockets are worn, they may trash the new chain prematurely. You could carefully compare your sprockets to new ones and check for wear or just replace them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts