Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a few quick questions ....

I'm slowly starting to do more and more of the maintenance myself ….. bear with me, I’m still pretty new to this :) . I was able to lube up the clutch cable but the only way I was able to do it was by removing the clutch lever to get to the end of the cable so I could put the lube clamp on it. Is there an easier way to do this or is that about it for the clutch.

Is there an easy way to lube the throttle cables?? To me it looks like the only way it to take apart the grip assembly to get to the ends of the cables.

Also, what’s the correct way to check your idle speed?? If I start the bike up and let it run for a bit, say 5 minutes, the idle speed is lower then specs. But if I take it out for a spin the idle speed is right in specs. So which reading is more accurate??

And any other maint tips ya wanna leave feel free to ….. Only thing I know I’m good at is oil changes and chain maint so anything would help.

·
Registered
205 Posts
greatzippy said:
. I was able to lube up the clutch cable but the only way I was able to do it was by removing the clutch lever to get to the end of the cable so I could put the lube clamp on it. Is there an easier way to do this or is that about it for the clutch.

Is there an easy way to lube the throttle cables?? To me it looks like the only way it to take apart the grip assembly to get to the ends of the cables.

Also, what’s the correct way to check your idle speed?? If I start the bike up and let it run for a bit, say 5 minutes, the idle speed is lower then specs. But if I take it out for a spin the idle speed is right in specs. So which reading is more accurate??

I would start by getting the workshop manual, then you would have known not to lube the clutch or throttle cables as they are impregnated from the factory and should "never" be lubed, simply adjusted.
When they get stiff you change them period.

As for the idle speed, as long as it is between 1250-1350 rpm then it is fine, if it needs adjustment then the manual recomends it being done after warming the bike up for several miutes doesn't matter how, just make sure the tach marker has stopped blinking.

Skippy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts