Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike just turned 16,000 miles, and I had the local shop do the 12,000 mile tune up and a new stock cam chain tensioner ( 2001 F4i). After hearing the quote for a 16,000 mile tune up, I am leaning towards doing it myself. They said 180 labor + parts, which came out to be around ~325 dollars w/ oil, filter, and plugs. That is also checking the valves, and if those need adjusting that would be an extra 2.5 hours labor. I'm pretty confident I can do an oil change, and plugs myself. Are stands required for this? Also what is the best oil and filter to use? The lead shop guy told me the filter was 20 bucks, and plugs were 27 a pop. Is that normal pricing? I dont like getting ripped off, but 300+ for a tuneup is crazy. I also want the best for my bike to make it last as long as possible so if its worth it to let the shop take care of it I'll cough up the dough. Thanks :banana

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
NGK plugs dont cost that much,, i think bout 6 bucks.. you dont need a stand to do the work.. i havent messed with the cam on my bike so i wouldnt be able to tell you. oil filter is like 12 bucks stock from SUZUKI, so it cant be that expensive.. try another shop cuz they are ripping you off and as far as oil im pretty sure they've got that at a regular price, just use the honda synthetic oil,, i think an complete oil change on my bike runs bout 30 bucks (oil,oil filter)

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
I am running Auotlite plugs in my bike ($2.00). Just take your old NGK plug to the local auto parts store and they can cross it to another brand that will be cheaper.

Look in your owner's manual for the recommended oil and use the OEM filter or a K&N filter

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool I just d/led a service manual .pdf, and found some good reads on oil and plugs. thanks guys :) oh and apparently it takes 3.5 qts + a full filter.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
you can buy the filter and plugs cheaper online than at the dealer and same alittle cash that way and do those yourself.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Oil filter for an F4i is 14 bucks from a dealership. I think our bikes hold either 3.5qts or 4qts, it's been a couple months since I've changed the oil. Very easy to do, but you almost have the oil filter wrench for the filter to get it off where it sits under the radiator.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
my gixx take 2800 ml .......which comes out to 3.5 quarts

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
I just bought NGK Iridium plugs(CR9EIK) for my '05 R1 from sparkplugs.com and they were only $6.20 a piece and they are they best you can get. Changing them is another story. Too much crap to take off. I'd rather pay my shop the $58 bucks and be done with it. A stand is a huge help if you are a do-it-yourselfer!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts